Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari weirdness, especially on YouTube site ?

I've put this question out there a couple times now and got nothing but delete Flash files

and clear cache. That doesn't work.

Since, maybe 6 months now, I think coincident with the release of Yosemite, but it might

have been before Safari is acting really weird.

1 - Safari is sluggish when other browsers are not.

The video will not stop playing sometimes and even if I click the screen or pause it

takes a long time to react. Also, if I click the back button it just sits there playing

the video often I have to click several times.

2 - If I click in the comment window, the text says opening, but it goes on and on and

never shows the cursor so I can enter a comment.

3 - If I do get a cursor, and this is not only in You-Tube but in some other websites, in

fact it is happening right here right now, the cursor disappears and I don't know

where I am in the text port.

4 - Finally, if I try to cut and paste the cursor goes crazy and pops out of the text port

and the web page scrolls up to the top and I have to scroll back down to find

where I am in the page again.

None of these problems show up with Chrome or Firefox.

I dont know why, but I would prefer to use Safari, the Apple browser.

Does anyone else notice problems like these. Try going to the You-Tube website

and seeing if you can enter a comment in a text port there? This is really starting to

bug me after months now. I thought it was just a minor annoyance and would be

fixed with some updates, but it also happens across my machines ... 2 iMacs,

1 Macbook, and a MacMini - but I don't use that much. All are current updated

always, and all on Yosemite.

I have no extensions enabled, have cleared my cache and deleted Flash data

many times. The cursor problems I am seeing on several other sites, even

including there.

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), 24",120G SSD,6GRAM,2T home,4T TM

Posted on Jul 6, 2015 12:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 6, 2015 7:48 PM

Yessir. Complete train wreck just as you say. People always suggest the same stuff and it doesn't work at all. Had it on an old machine and have the same issue on this 1 week old machine. Safari is completely unusable for me. Wish I could help, but at least you now know you're not alone. I have the same exact problems. Facebook won't even load, You Tube is sketchy. Anything with video or comment / typing fields on the page is useless half the time.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 6, 2015 7:48 PM in response to bruxxx

Yessir. Complete train wreck just as you say. People always suggest the same stuff and it doesn't work at all. Had it on an old machine and have the same issue on this 1 week old machine. Safari is completely unusable for me. Wish I could help, but at least you now know you're not alone. I have the same exact problems. Facebook won't even load, You Tube is sketchy. Anything with video or comment / typing fields on the page is useless half the time.

Jul 6, 2015 11:02 PM in response to Noblin

Thanks for letting me know I am not the only one.

Safari works OK for browsing, but it is getting very flaky even for that.

I end up having to click links 2 or three times ... it's like it is off in la-la

land not doing anything.

But, I also notice the same thing a bit extending to my Mac desktop.

The mouse often disappears, or for example in iMovie the mouse cannot

leave the sub-window, and then it will appear across the desktop.

I'm wondering if part of the problem in not the basic scheduler and event

handler for the Mac desktop. Did they introduce bugs trying to get it to

be more like a tablet/IOS?

I am using Safari right now and it seems to be fine, but when I was here

to enter the first text, if I used the mouse or the cursor movement keys

the cursor would get lost. That is what also happens at You-Tube and

some other sites.

My Facebook loads fine, and I have not seen problems with that. I wonder

how we can have such different symptons. I do not have much nonstandard

stuff loaded on my Mac either. No plug-ins, just Silverlight and Flash.

Video works OK for me as well ... except for user interactions or navigating

off the page.

Jul 7, 2015 6:34 AM in response to bruxxx

Try a restart.

Do a backup, using either Time Machine or a cloning program, to ensure files/data can be recovered. Two backups are better than one.

Try setting up another admin user account to see if the same problem continues. If Back-to-My Mac is selected in System Preferences, the Guest account will not work. The intent is to see if it is specific to one account or a system wide problem. This account can be deleted later.

Isolating an issue by using another user account

If the problem is still there, try booting into the Safe Mode using your normal account. Disconnect all peripherals except those needed for the test. Shut down the computer and then power it back up after waiting 10 seconds. Immediately after hearing the startup chime, hold down the shift key and continue to hold it until the gray Apple icon and a progress bar appear. The boot up is significantly slower than normal. This will reset some caches, forces a directory check, and disables all startup and login items, among other things. When you reboot normally, the initial reboot may be slower than normal. If the system operates normally, there may be 3rd party applications which are causing a problem. Try deleting/disabling the third party applications after a restart by using the application un-installer. For each disable/delete, you will need to restart if you don't do them all at once.

Safe Mode - About

Safe Mode - Yosemite

Jul 7, 2015 12:13 PM in response to Eric Root

I've tried restarts several times, but that never seem to make a difference.

However isolating by account is a good idea that I don't recall having tried yet, so I will do that.

The one thing I do know is that it is isolated to Safari, but that could be because I almost always use Safari and it has gotten some customizations that I do not know about, because mostly I don't like and never had added customized stuff to my browser or even my desktop, but there might be something that I forgot or don't know about.

I was wondering if there is some way to only reinstall Safari that would reset it back to install condition?

I will try this and get back, thanks Eric.

Jul 7, 2015 5:32 PM in response to Noblin

To be fair to Apple, this could well be their software issue, or it could be that

Google/You-Tube is trying to nudge out the Safari Browser and disavow it with

some credibility based on complexity ... no one understands it.

I just have this feeling that when banks are too big to fail they are too big to exist,

and the software version of this should be, programs that are too complex to manage

are too complex to exist, for the same reasons ... the potential for abuse and problems.

There are no metrics of real hard guidelines for what is a good idea in s/w or not, and

the corporations have just run with it out the door leaving us consumers feeling

really f-ed over in many cases.

Anyway, I expect that is what I will find as well, and since I have this one two separate

machines and two separate accounts, even though they have the same login-id,

I expect I will get no-joy from rebooting, resetting and whatever else, but it makes sense

to try. If I could just get one hint of what and why this is going on ... everything seemed

to be fine up until about the time Google started futzing with all their ID's and the

You-Tube website ... that is really the only thing I can relate this too. Doesn't mean it's

correct though, or I can prove it, or even have the evidence.

Jul 7, 2015 7:01 PM in response to bruxxx

My particulars: OSX: 10.9.5, Safari: 7.1.7, MBP Retina 15 8g ram 217free of 512g SSD

I don't have the specific problem with YouTube but with many imbedded video feeds say from Atlantic, or CNN, the video will stream part way then the imaging will stop but the audio will continue. Like Bruxx I've cleared caches confirmed versions disable extensions (all of which work in harmony pervious to 1qtr 2015). Same machine, same network, same everything, same videos will play flawlessly on either Chrome or Firefox. More then frustrating this is discouraging.

Safari weirdness, especially on YouTube site ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.