Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I clicked on a link and was brought to odd screen

Ok so today I was messaging someone on a game application called Steam, when a person sent me a link to a website that is commonly known to share photos or screenshots from a game or something (nothing bad). Knowing it was a trustworthy website i clicked the link and all of a sudden my macbook shutdown, and a screen i had never seen popped up. I don't remember too well but I would describe the screen with a black background with warning signs and I believe the words on it said "Warning a problem has been detected on your mac... etc" after a certain amount of time my desktop popped back up with one of those tabs saying a problem has occured would you wish to report this and I did. After being very nervous I talked to a friend who knew more about technology than me and said it was possible that the person who sent the link could have downloaded a RAT or virus onto my computer. I would really like to know if there is anything I can do, I searched through my files and could not find anything new or out of the ordinary. Also I would like to note that when I went to my web browser google chrome, the link that I clicked on did not appear in my search history. If there is any way I can run a scan or personally detect any virus any advice will help. THANK YOU!!

MacBook Pro with Retina display

Posted on Jul 6, 2015 12:06 AM

3 replies

Jul 6, 2015 4:49 AM in response to FinsNation22

This is not malware, and your friend's advice really shouldn't be listened to. He may very well be knowledgeable regarding Windows, but there is currently no known way to infect your Mac simply by clicking on a link.

That message sounds like a kernel panic. (Did it have instructions telling you to restart your computer in multiple languages? If so, that's a kernel panic.) Kernel panics are generally caused by one of three things: bad third-party software, a badly corrupt system or bad hardware. Post a copy of the kernel panic log and we can tell you more about it. See:

Mac OS X: How to log a kernel panic - Apple Support

I clicked on a link and was brought to odd screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.