Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Selectively migrating from iMac to Macbook pro?

There are old preference files and applications etc. which date back to 2010 from previous migrations to my current 27" iMac (late 2012) from earlier iMac migrations using Apple's Migration Assistant.

How do I selectively migrate data to a new Macbook pro (2015) from the iMac without unwanted files such as certain Apps, unused preferences, documents and games being transferred?

I am hoping to keep the new Macbook Pro as clean and uncluttered as possible.

I use Carbon Copy Cloner for backup (not time machine) - if that helps at all?

Thank you,

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Jul 5, 2015 11:32 PM

2 replies

Jul 6, 2015 8:02 AM in response to vanstar sydney

To my knowledge, there is no way to use migration assistant in the fashion you wish to do so. Migration assistant only gives you limited options for selecting what you want to migrate. I think the best thing you could do is to uninstall/delete all the things off of your current mac that you don't want transferred to your new mac. Then, after you have cleaned out all unwanted programs and files from your old mac, use migration assistant to move your remaining files and programs to the new mac.

Jul 6, 2015 8:12 AM in response to vanstar sydney

Not to cause controversy here but I suggest doing the opposite what camtechguy98 advocates. Do not try to clean up the old Mac, but drag and drop what you want to save onto the new Mac. That way what ever is not transferred will be absent from the new MBP leaving it as 'uncluttered' as possible.

CCC is an excellent backup and data transfer application but is not the proper tool in this instance for what you want to achieve.

Ciao.

Selectively migrating from iMac to Macbook pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.