Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

'Self Assigned IP Address' / Mid 2011 iMac / Fresh Yosemite 10.10.4 Install

Hello, I usually always find a solution to my technical issues without asking, but alas, this one has got me.

I just bought an iMac and it has a fresh install of Yosemite 10.10.4 on it.

The problem is I can't connect to the internet via wifi using it. I have another iMac, 2 x macbook pros & 2 x iPhones in the house which all can connect and access this internet. The message I get is 'Self Assigned IP Address'.

I have tried all the suggestions online to fix it including:

1/ Hard Resetting the Modem (TP Link W8970)

2/ Reinstalling Yosemite

3/ Creating a new location

4/ Deleting the Wifi connection / Keychain access

5/ Deleting the following files:

- com.apple.airport.preferences.plist

- NeworkInterfaces.plist

- com.apple.alf.plist

6/ Setting the DCHP to Manual and selecting an IP from an appropriate range, i.e. 192.168.1.110

7/ Renewing the DHCP Lease

8/ Setting 'W-Fi' to the highest Service Order

9/ Unticking 'Use Passive FTP Mode (PASV)

10/ Assigning an IP address to the iMacs address within the TP Link Modem settings

The iMac will connect to the if directly plugged into the Modem via Ethernet cable, and also via 'Personal Hot Spot' on my iPhone.

Can this actually be fixed? Where to from here? The Genius Bar? This issue seems very odd.. every other computer / device we have works fine...

Thoughts?

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4), null

Posted on Jul 6, 2015 2:30 AM

8 replies

Jul 6, 2015 6:35 AM in response to xx-Lotus-xx

This is one of the problems I really hate dealing with. I’ve developed a standard method which includes a large amount of four letter words. I’m not positive they are a required part of the process but they seem to help 😁

Having determined that your computer’s WiFi works means we can move on. First, go online and make sure your router has the most current firmware. If it doesn’t, install and try again. Second, temporarily disable security. After the router has shut down your computer and restart it. (Don’t just reboot, this seems to be as important as the 4 letter words and for sanity’s sake you might want to turn off or put to sleep all your other Internet using devices before you turn the router security off.) If it connects now turn the computer off again, turn security back on, and try again.

Then, as rkaufmann87 suggests, call Apple.

Jul 6, 2015 7:42 AM in response to xx-Lotus-xx

xx-Lotus-xx wrote:

hmm this is a mid 2011 iMac.. I think the apple care is out of date?

Anyway, I did call them and got some help.. They have told me to contact TP Link and ask them if they know what the problem could be.. a TP-Link W8970 Router & iMac Mid 2011 incompatibility issue? hmmmmmm :/

You didn't mention it was a used Mac. One thing to do is re-set the modem and ensure it has up-to-date firmware. If it still will not work, consider dwb ideas and if all else fails, replace the router with something like an Airport Extreme.

Good luck

Jul 7, 2015 7:56 PM in response to xx-Lotus-xx

Hey Lotus,

I've been through your stage and i was depressed and annoyed with my Wi-Fi connection. I did some research and came up with the best solution:

go to the /Macintosh HD/Library/Preferences/ folder (you may find Macintosh HD from spotlight search bar) and remove the file called "com.apple.alf.plist," and then restart your computer. After the system boots, you may be prompted to allow incoming connections to numerous programs and services, so accept these. As simple as that 🙂

'Self Assigned IP Address' / Mid 2011 iMac / Fresh Yosemite 10.10.4 Install

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.