Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes 12.2.0.145 refuses to play or recognise non-Store music

After this latest update (which pointlessly reset the encoding options and the location of the iTunes Media folder. That needn't happen.) iTunes only shows music that has been bought from the Store in the Library.

Trying to fix this, after selecting to add music to the library the progress circle when clicked advises that it is processing album artwork. When that is completed, no files are added to the library whatsoever. Further, if I go into the old media folder and choose to play a track using iTunes, nothing happens.

Since this was an exercise in abject frustration, I resorted to hamfisting my way around any conceivably related function in the iTunes options menus with no real educated idea of what would work. Went into Library>Import Playlist then started clicking. No idea what file type was appropriate, iTunes itself offered no clues. After a few desperate clicks on file names, clicked on something called "iT.tmp" and this seems to have restored the music library within the iTunes program. And beyond any logical reason my limited technical mind can conceive, this also seems to have convinced iTunes to play music by right clicking through explorer.

Another example of if it ain't broke step away from the keyboard and do anything else with your time.

PC, Windows Vista

Posted on Jul 6, 2015 5:29 AM

There are no replies.

iTunes 12.2.0.145 refuses to play or recognise non-Store music

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.