Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

cannot connect to time capsule from one of two macs

I have been backing up my iMac and my wife's iMac to the same TimeCapsule for two years. Mine is a newer iMac running 10.8, hers is still 10.7.5. Both are kept up to date with Software Update. Airport Utility on her iMac cannot find TimeCapsule since the 29th of June even though mine backed up regularly as recently as 6 July. Only change on her iMac was an iTunes 12.1.2 update on 28 June.

Tried using Airport Utility on her machine and the Configure menu to access the TimeCapsule by it's hard coded IP address and the Password but it did nothing and still couldn't see the TimeCapsule. The only option when I pointed the mouse to the icon of the TimeCapsule and right clicked was to 'Forget' so I cancelled that. I use TimeMachine over wired connections not wireless and the newer iMac is still backing up fine. Any suggestions?

Posted on Jul 6, 2015 3:27 AM

7 replies

Jul 6, 2015 4:05 AM in response to chillypop

Only change on her iMac was an iTunes 12.1.2 update on 28 June.

Tried using Airport Utility on her machine and the Configure menu to access the TimeCapsule by it's hard coded IP address and the Password but it did nothing and still couldn't see the TimeCapsule.

So the airport utility is still working on your computer??

And both computers still have internet?

To fail opening the TC by IP address is significant.. but if you can get internet through the TC then I am kind of lost.

What model is the TC? Does the ethernet on her iMac show connection speed as 1Gbps?

Does it on yours?

Use the local ethernet advanced setting.. hardware.

Did you set ipv6 to link-local only?? This does help.

User uploaded file

Otherwise I would suggest you save the configuration on your Mac using export configuration.. then reset it to factory and redo it.

Try turning on wireless on her Mac and see if that works over ethernet.

No luck then give me a load of screenshots so I can see the setup.

Jul 11, 2015 11:32 AM in response to LaPastenague

I'm having a problem similar to chillypop. Time Capsule hasn't backed up anything since June 28th, but the WiFi still works. However, I didn't have any updates occur at the time the last backup occurred. I'm running Yosemite 10.10.3. I'd give more info on the TC, but it's been "fetching" it for the last 15 minutes. Looking at the device itself, I can say it's 1 TB, model #A1302.

Jul 11, 2015 2:17 PM in response to UMBlkBr

Looking at the device itself, I can say it's 1 TB, model #A1302.

That one is over 5years old and really it should be replaced.

The best thing to try is a full reset and reconfigure of the TC.. beyond that it might just be too old.

Factory reset universal

Power off the TC.. ie pull the power cord or power off at the wall.. wait 10sec.. hold in the reset button.. be gentle.. power on again still holding in reset.. and keep holding it in for another 10sec. You may need some help as it is hard to both hold in reset and apply power. It will show success by rapidly blinking the front led. Release the reset.. and wait a couple of min for the TC to reset and come back with factory settings. If the front LED doesn’t blink rapidly you missed it and simply try again. The reset is fairly fragile in these.. press it so you feel it just click and no more.. I have seen people bend the lever or even break it. I use a toothpick as tool.

N.B. None of your files on the hard disk of the TC are deleted.. this simply clears out the router settings of the TC.

Setup the TC again.

Then redo the setup from the computer with Yosemite.

1. Use very short names.. NOT APPLE RECOMMENDED names. No spaces and pure alphanumerics.

eg TCgen5 for basestation and TCwifi wireless name.

If the issue is wireless use TC24ghz and TC5ghz with fixed channels as this also seems to help stop the nonsense. But this can be tried in the second round. ie plan on a first and second round of changes to fix this.. hopefully.. I will point out other steps that can be round2.

2. Use all passwords that also comply with 1. but can be a bit longer. ie 8-20 characters mixed case and numbers.. no non-alphanumerics.

3. If the TC is main router you can skip this point. This is only an issue when the TC is bridged.

Ensure the TC always takes the same IP address.. you will need to do this on the main router using dhcp reservation.. or a bit more complex setup using static IP in the TC. But this is important.. having IP drift all over the place when Yosemite cannot remember its own name for 5 min after a reboot makes for poor networking.

4. Check your share name on the computer is not changing.. make sure it also complies with the above.. short no spaces and pure alphanumeric.. but this change will mess up your TM backup.. so be prepared to do a new full backup. Sorry.. keep this one for second round if you want to avoid a new backup.

5. Mount the TC disk in the computer manually.

In Finder, Go, Connect to server from the top menu,

Type in SMB://192.168.0.254 (or whatever the TC ip is which you have now made static. As a router by default it is 10.0.1.1 and I encourage people to stick with that unless you know what you are doing).

You can use name.. SMB://TCgen5.local where you replace TCgen5 with your TC name.. local is the default domain of the TC and doesn't change.

However names are not so easy as IP address.. nor as reliable. At least not in Yosemite they aren't. The domain can also be an issue if you are not plugged or wireless directly to the TC.

6. Make sure IPv6 is set to link-local only in the computer. For example wireless open the network preferences, wireless and advanced / TCP/IP.. and fix the IPv6. to link-local only. Do the same for ethernet if you use it.

There is a lot more jiggery pokery you can try but the above is a good start.. if you find it still unreliable.. don't be surprised.

You might need to do some more work on the computer itself. eg Reset the PRAM.. has helped some people. Clean install of the OS is also helpful if you upgrade installed.

Tell us how you go.

Someone posted a solution.. See this thread.

Macbook can't find Time Capsule anymore

Start from the bottom and work up.. I have a list of good network practice changes but I have avoided Yosemites bug heaven.

Yosemite has serious DNS bug in the networking application.. here is the lets say more arcane method of fixing it by doing a network transplant from mavericks.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2015/01/why-dns-in-os-x-10-10-is-broken-and-what-yo u-can-do-to-fix-it/

Jul 17, 2015 8:04 PM in response to chillypop

I found the solution! I had installed McAfee Live Safe on both Macs. It includes a host firewall. In the Internet Security Preferences menu open Firewall, then the Network Connections tab, then you have only two choices in the Type: menu = "Home or Work" or "Public" . "Public" prevented her iMac from seeing the Time Capsule!

My iMac had "Home or Work" selected and my wife's iMac had "Public" selected. When I changed her setting to "Home or Work" now hers can see the Time Capsule just like mine can see the Time Capsule and backups work fine.

Turning off the firewall also worked but I want some protection so I am leaving them both on but set to "Home or Work" so they can see the Time Capsule.

I speculate that the "Public" setting is good for a laptop that is out on a public WiFi network.

Lesson learned is to always check the Configuration Control records of what I installed on each machine! I keep a notebook of printouts, not just a file on the Mac. I forgot about installing Live Safe even though I recorded it in my notebook!

cannot connect to time capsule from one of two macs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.