Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Boot Camp not recognising windows as 64bit

Hi All,

I'm very new to Mac use. Have iMac refurbished by Apple running OSX with 1TB fusion drive. Am in the process of partitioning off a section of the hard drive to install windows 8.1. Have purchased the full version on disc from Microsoft and the box contains a 32bit disc and a 64bit disc. Have created a file on the Mac (using the 64bit disc - have double checked) and renamed it with .iso instead of cdr. Am now at the stage of burning the file onto an external drive (which I have already formatted to FAT32) but when I press continue I get a drop down message in boot camp that says it only supports 64 bit windows installation.

Any ideas about why boot camp is not recognising it as the 64bit version? Will be very grateful for any help.

Thanks

Andy

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Jul 6, 2015 6:00 AM

1 reply

Jul 6, 2015 9:29 AM in response to Scoobydrew365

Did you create the ISO using Create an ISO image for Boot Camp from a Windows installation DVD - Apple Support method?

You do not need to burn the ISO back to a FAT32 disk, it will fail.

Run BCA, insert a USB2 flash drive of 8+ GB. BCA will download appropriate drivers and will prompt you for the location of the ISO and then integrate the files on the USB2 drive, and boot from the USB2. Do not interrupt the boot process till you see screens similar to

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Boot Camp not recognising windows as 64bit

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.