Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can I turn off home sharing for contacts only

I just activated my old iPhone 4 for one one my children to use as a phone. She went into the contacts list and removed all my contacts that she didn't need. Now they are gone from my phone too. Can I have home sharing for some things but not others? If so how?

iPhone 5, iOS 8

Posted on Jul 6, 2015 5:59 AM

1 reply

Jul 8, 2015 6:12 AM in response to susanfromrichmond hill

Hello Susan,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

From your post I understand that you gave your old iPhone to your child, and after they deleted contacts from it, they also deleted from your iPhone. This indicates your child's iPhone was signed in to your iCloud account, thus keeping all of the content between them in sync.

To get your contacts back, you will need to restore from your most recent backup. In order to avoid this situation in the future, sign out of iCloud on your child's iPhone.

Restore your device from an iCloud or iTunes backup - Apple Support

iCloud

1. Tap Settings > iCloud on your iOS device. If you see the option to sign in, you can change your Apple ID now.
  2. Scroll down and tap Sign Out. In iOS 7 or earlier, tap Delete Account. After you sign out of iCloud, you might not be able to access some of your data that's stored in iCloud until you sign in again. If you're part of a family, you'll need to sign back in to use Family Sharing.
    User uploaded file
  3. Choose Keep on My iPhone or Delete from My iPhone.
  4. Enter your password.
  5. Go to Settings > iCloud and enter your Apple ID and password.
  6. Tap Sign In.

Sign in with a different Apple ID on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Take care,

Alex H.

can I turn off home sharing for contacts only

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.