Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pages

I no longer have Word but Pages with my new Mac laptop. Unfortunately nobody seems to be able to read the Pages documents. Is it best to bite the bullet and buy Word for Mac or can I save the Pages documents differently?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Jul 6, 2015 4:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 6, 2015 5:39 AM

Hi Positive Puma,

Word will not open a Pages document. Pages will open a Word document (with some warnings).

In Pages, Menu > Export To > Word... > Advanced Options > .docx or .doc

User uploaded file

That will work for very simple documents.

If you regularly swap documents with Word users, it would be best for you to use Word for Mac or a Word clone (some clones are free downloads).

Export to Word from Pages (and import from Word to Pages) is not perfect.

Regards,

Ian.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 6, 2015 5:39 AM in response to Positive Puma

Hi Positive Puma,

Word will not open a Pages document. Pages will open a Word document (with some warnings).

In Pages, Menu > Export To > Word... > Advanced Options > .docx or .doc

User uploaded file

That will work for very simple documents.

If you regularly swap documents with Word users, it would be best for you to use Word for Mac or a Word clone (some clones are free downloads).

Export to Word from Pages (and import from Word to Pages) is not perfect.

Regards,

Ian.

Jul 6, 2015 6:03 AM in response to Positive Puma

Hi Positive Puma,

Thanks for the gold star and your feedback.

I don't have Word or any Word clone on my Mac. I do get Word documents sent to me, and I can usually ignore the warnings (they are mostly warnings such as "Missing Font"). No problem. Edit, then Export To > Word... and send back. That works for me with simple documents.

If your Word colleagues are using advanced Word features, you will be the bunny who must fix up the glitches. Be sure that Word users won't!

Regards,

Ian.

Pages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.