Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to use Time Machine after going from Mavericks to Mountain Lion?

Hi all,

I recently installed an SSD in my Mid-2010 MacBook, and I am using Mountain Lion with the SSD. My old HDD has Mavericks and I plan on using it for external storage. I also have a Seagate drive for Time Machine backups of the HDD. After I finish transferring data from my HDD to the SSD, I would like to continue using the Seagate to backup my data with Time Machine. However, I'm unclear about the way the Time Machine will function. I would also like to avoid accidentally restoring an entire Time Machine backup of Mavericks on my SSD as my MacBook really struggled with Mavericks; I've been so concerned about this that I use Finder to drill through backup files in the Seagate to locate data that isn't on my HDD.

If I enable Time Machine on Mountain Lion, will Time Machine, on its own, stack the backups of my current format on top of the older backups from the time I used Mavericks?

Furthermore, if I enter Time Machine to look through my back ups, can I view the back ups from Mavericks?

Can I also navigate through the Mavericks to locate any data I might need and copy it to my Mountain Lion desktop?

If I can continue using the Seagate to look through my data from Mavericks, is there any reason I should consider wiping the HDD clean and using it for Time Machine with Mountain Lion instead (although I don't think I would do this, seems like more effort than it's worth and it might be good to keep a copy of my Mavericks data in a separate drive)?

Thanks for your help!

MacBook, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)

Posted on Jul 6, 2015 5:54 AM

1 reply

Jul 6, 2015 2:27 PM in response to ShinyStarship789

You should be able to migrate.

Move your content to a new Mac - Apple Support

Apple have no direct info about what happens when you downgrade OS.. I guess it is something they consider should never happen.

But migration from a TM backup should be able to collect your files and settings and apply them to your new OS.. even if earlier version. I would be wary of migrating applications.. since some things will definitely change.. so installing applications from scratch can still be of value.

If I enable Time Machine on Mountain Lion, will Time Machine, on its own, stack the backups of my current format on top of the older backups from the time I used Mavericks?

http://pondini.org/TM/4.html

I think if you rename the computer.. ie make sure it has a different name to your old computer name.. then when you start TM it should backup to the disk and use a separate backup.. According to our Friend.. Pondini that is exactly what should happen.

I would try and maintain the Mavericks original disk and would be very wary of doing anything to harm it.. The backup of the original disk is much less important.. you can always get the files off the original.

Let me recommend you simply buy a new backup disk.. they are not expensive after all. cf a decent size SSD, positively cheap.. and you can buy neat little 2TB USB 3 disks for $100 or so.

Don't be too mean.. as future loss of files is done once lost forever..

You can however use that original disk at some future point .. say 6months down the track when you are sure you never will need the files from it.

How to use Time Machine after going from Mavericks to Mountain Lion?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.