Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Any other ways to delete thousands of empty playlists? Scripts did not work for me

I have over 20,000 empty playlists caused by an iTunes match glitch, and still have no idea how to get rid of them? Tried running Dougscripts Delete All Empty Playlists and it ran for 4 days with no luck.

Are there any other solutions out there? I've searched forum after forum to no avail. Thank you for reading and help in advance!

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2011), OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jul 6, 2015 7:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 6, 2015 7:38 AM

The only other way I can think of is to hand-edit the .xml version of the library file and then use it to rebuild your main library files (losing some other metadata in the process).

7 replies

Jul 6, 2015 8:00 AM in response to titanstcb

Let's examine this in a bigger context. Is this truly a Match issue or is this in connection with the recent iTunes update and is a Music (not Match) issue? If the latter then you may find it easier to simply restart iTunes using an old library file. iTunes: How to re-create your iTunes library and playlists - https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201561 - These instructions have you open iTunes with an old iTunes library file archived at the time you last updated iTunes. This will revert your library content list and appearance to what it was at the date indicated on the file. Newer media not in this list will still be in your media folder. You can re-add these by dragging your media folders to the Automatically Add To iTunes folder but they will regarded as brand new items.

Your library file and your media are two separate things. The library file is basically a catalog of what media it thinks exist on the computer and where they are. It does not always correspond 100%. So you can re-start using an older library file and not re-download any media because you are just using an old catalog file to reference the media which has remained unchanged.

Any other ways to delete thousands of empty playlists? Scripts did not work for me

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.