Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trying to recover Windows bootcamp and data within using instructions on this community

Hi there,

I had Windows bootcamp installed on my Macbook air and was working fine until I created a new partition to mount it on top of 25GB (i reckon) windows partition. I lost the Windows boot when I created this new partition from disk utility. On rebooting Windows option disappeared.

I followed below steps by "Loner T" to recover windows bootability:

sudo fdisk -e /dev/disk0

p

setpid 4

flag 4

p

write

y

Now Reboot and hold the ALT key and check if Windows shows up and is bootable.

Following above, I could now see the boot icon on Alt+Start but when trying Windows I got "Missing Operating System" To resolve this, I am trying to follow instructions via this post - BOOTCAMP Partition lost after some updates in Yosemite and other interlinking posts./threads [NOTE: I have not attempted Yosemite upgrade at all]

I have installed GPTF Disk and TestDisk and followed steps on http://imgur.com/a/PjmnK to do a quick search. Below is the output. Can you please suggest me next steps to recover bootcamp along with the data. Had quite a bit of data saved there and really hoping to get it all back safe. Please Help!!

User uploaded file

MacBook Air, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Jul 6, 2015 5:52 AM

20 replies

Jul 6, 2015 5:54 AM in response to davesam00

Can you post the output of the following Terminal commands?

diskutil list

diskutil cs list

sudo gpt -vv -r show /dev/disk0

sudo fdisk /dev/disk0

The "sudo" commands will prompt for your password, and it will not be echoed back. You may also see a warning about improper use of "sudo" and potential data loss due to "abuse" of the command.

Jul 6, 2015 7:59 AM in response to Loner T

Hi, I did try to follow the steps in above post and Windows 7 Vanished after Yosemite update... help? to do the quick search using TestDisk. Not sure if I did it right but i exactly followed the steps on http://imgur.com/a/PjmnK.

The result of my Quick Search is attached in my first post - below again for reference - have I done this right or missed something?

Please let me know if I should this this all over again to copy previous snapshots before I hit Quick Search.

FYI I select EFI GPT option before selecting Analyse.

User uploaded file

Jul 6, 2015 9:36 AM in response to davesam00

This is expected. You can have only one viable NTFS partition. This validates the available partitions.

Here is a table for verification.

GPT 3 StartGPT 3 SizeGPT 3 EndNTFS StartSector OffsetNTFS SizeNTFS EndSector Offset (MB)NTFS(Gb)

Can you use the Gdisk steps in the linked thread and replace steps 7 and 8 values with 148434944 and 88541177 and run both sets of Gdisk steps? Do not forget the '+' sign in step 8 in the first set of Gdisk steps.

Jul 6, 2015 9:45 AM in response to Loner T

Thanks Loner T..

I have done the first part of the instruction successfully - Hence I believe I have now "delete and re-write the GPT partition info for /dev/disk0s4."

Question: Where do I perform the second set of instructions i.e. Where do I follow second set of steps 1 to 14. Do I do this in the sae Terminal window where I followed the first set?

Thanks again for all the prompt replies.

Jul 6, 2015 9:57 AM in response to Loner T

Yup I did return to terminal command prompt after first set.

I am in middle of the second part and seek assistant before I mess up anything.

In re to step 8 and 9 - do I have to N twice for partition 2 and partition 3... I am currently confused/stuck at below screen. Should I follow as per step 11 or do i need to restart and do N for both questions of part 2 and part 3 User uploaded file

Trying to recover Windows bootcamp and data within using instructions on this community

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.