Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac 2012 doesn't boot 3TB fusion drive

I have a 2012 iMac with a 3TB fusion drive that started to slow down and then eventually wouldn't boot up. It stops at about 25% on the timer on boot up and then turns off.

It does boot from a separate drive, but I can't transfer files from the Macintosh HD - and disk manager says it can't repair the Macintosh HD.

I went to the Macstore and they told me all was left was to take the HD to a data recovery centre.

But a 3TB fusion drive is actually 2 drives. Is there anyway I can tell which drive is faulty? I hear some "spluttering" inside the iMac, so I assume it's the regular drive.

Any ideas on how to help this situation? i.e. how do I get my data back with no back up?

iMac (27-inch, Late 2012), iOS 8.4

Posted on Jul 6, 2015 6:45 AM

2 replies

Jul 6, 2015 7:56 AM in response to dfromhk

It is almost certainly the mechanical hd. The Apple Store did advise you correctly, the only method is to take the HD to a data recovery service and hope they can get some information off it. This will be extremely expensive. This is why it is CRITICAL to always have a backup plan. Unfortunately you are going to learn an expensive lesson.

Once you get the machine fixed and it is back up and running, then get 2 external HD's and make a redundant backup plan. I would recommend using Time Machine as the first backup, TM is already installed with OS X so there is zero reason not to use it. The second form of backup I'd recommend is using a cloning app such as Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper.

Good luck and sorry for your misfortune.

iMac 2012 doesn't boot 3TB fusion drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.