Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Compatibility: iTunes 11.xx and ios 8.4

Simple question,

If I upgrade my phone (iPhone 5) to ios 8.4, will the phone still work (and sync) with iTunes 11.3?

Thanks

Greg

PC, Windows 7

Posted on Jul 6, 2015 8:12 AM

8 replies

Jul 10, 2015 8:33 AM in response to Greg Condo

I just updated my iPhone 5 to IOS 8.4. I am running iTunes 11.4 as it was the last stable version to run on my Windows 7 laptop. I updated the iPhone via iTunes and got an error message that stated iTunes had a problem and could not connect to the phone once it restated following the update. Now when I plug the phone in, iTunes 11.4 doesn't see it at all.

Jul 10, 2015 9:01 AM in response to turingtest2

My (limited) understanding is that iTunes 12.xxx versions have a hard time negotiating proxy server settings. This is a work computer on a work network and I don't have the tools or know-how to get around that issue. I had continual crashes, even after following the upgrade instructions you linked several times with older and older iTunes versions until I found one that stayed up - 11.4. I've been poking through the forums and it appears folks are still having similar network/stability problems with 12.1 and 12.2 has catalog issues that I'm hesitant to get into.

My phone works great, though. Fully updated to the new platform and all seems well. Getting Match to run in the modified music app was not as intuitive as one would expect from an Apple product, but it does work. I would like to make a back up on iTunes with the update in place, but that's not going to happen just now.....

Compatibility: iTunes 11.xx and ios 8.4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.