Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto library has mostly disappeared after update

Yesterday I updated to the new Yosemite 10.10.4. I did not realize this update would completely mess up my iPhoto library. Now only photos from 2009-2010 appear. My folders where I have separated pictures (like butterflies) have disappeared. I need my photos for my magazine article assignments. Most are in Dropbox, I guess, but I want my library back. What can I do? I'm so worried...

Thank you,

Lynn

Posted on Jul 6, 2015 7:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 6, 2015 7:59 AM

I did not realize this update would completely mess up my iPhoto library. Now only photos from 2009-2010 appear. My folders where I have separated pictures (like butterflies) have disappeared.

Where is your iPhoto Library stored, Lynn? Is it in your Pictures folder or on an external drive?

Are you using iPhoto 9.6.1?

And which folders are you referring to? Are you saying, that some folders with albums are missing in your iPhoto Library? Or are complete events missing?

Have you checked, if you have opened the correct iPhoto Library? iPhoto may have opened an older library on your internal disk, if it cannot access for regular library on an external drive, because the drive is offline.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 6, 2015 7:59 AM in response to Lynngator

I did not realize this update would completely mess up my iPhoto library. Now only photos from 2009-2010 appear. My folders where I have separated pictures (like butterflies) have disappeared.

Where is your iPhoto Library stored, Lynn? Is it in your Pictures folder or on an external drive?

Are you using iPhoto 9.6.1?

And which folders are you referring to? Are you saying, that some folders with albums are missing in your iPhoto Library? Or are complete events missing?

Have you checked, if you have opened the correct iPhoto Library? iPhoto may have opened an older library on your internal disk, if it cannot access for regular library on an external drive, because the drive is offline.

Jul 6, 2015 8:16 AM in response to léonie

Leonie,

I don't know what version it is because it is gone from my iMac. The iPad version is 2.0.1.My photos are still there (only select ones, not my entire library.) On the iMac, only photos from 2009-2001 are appearing. Nothing show up after those dates. On the old iPhoto, I had a number of albums or photos and two photo books I did. None of those are showing up. The old iPhoto icon is gone from my Applications folder. I am trying to install the library (that was in my Applications folder) again to see if they show up.

I am having to take my husband back to his surgeon this afternoon so it will be a while before I can check your reply again. Thank you so much.

Oh, and I did back up everything on an external hd about a month ago.

Lynn

Jul 6, 2015 8:49 AM in response to Lynngator

I don't know what version it is because it is gone from my iMac.

iPhoto is gone? Have you been using the new Photos.app instead of iPhoto? Then everything will look differently indeed.

Photos does no longer have events, some smart albums cannot be migrated, and books and projects will look differently.

See: How Photos handles content and metadata from iPhoto and Aperture - Apple Support

The upgrade to MacOS X 10.10.3 or later does not uninstall iPhoto. It just replaces the icon in the Dock by the Photos icon. iPhoto will still be in your Applications folder. Drag it from there back to the Dock if you prefer to use iPhoto.

Reinstalling the library seems to have helped... will look more closely later. Thank you!!

Good luck!

Jul 10, 2015 11:25 AM in response to léonie

Okay leonie, here is where I am now. The iPhotos Library was in my Application folder so I clicked on it and it loaded my photos, albums and projects into the Photos program. Great. They are there and not lost! But it still only recognizes pictures in the library up to 2011 and not beyond. For example, when I try to drag and drop a recent photo, say to Facebook. It does not go anywhere. I have to drag it to the desktop, then post it from there.

How do I fix this?

And what program should I start using when I upload photos from now on? Photos does not let me move even the pictures I uploaded on Wednesday. Also iPhoto is gone from my Applications folder. All I see in the dock is an old iPhoto icon with a line through it. The app store tells me an update is no longer available.

Thank you.

Jul 10, 2015 11:38 AM in response to Lynngator

If you want to revert to iPhoto you need to update to iPhoto 9.6.1. Which version do you have?

Apple stopped selling iPhoto from the App Store. No wonder you cannot find it.

You can no longer buy iPhoto from the App Store anywhere, and also not update it from the "Updates" tab of the App Store. You can however reinstall it, if it is showing among your Purchases at the App Store and associated with your AppleID.

Sign into the App Store and look at the Purchases tab. Is iPhoto listed there? Only if you see it there, can you reinstall as described in this User Tip:

Get iPhoto 9.6.1 if you didn't update before OS... | Apple Support Communities

The main idea is to move the incompatible iPhoto app to the Trash, so Spotlight does not see it as installed, reload the App Store by pressing ⌘R, and then to try to download again from the App Store - from your Purchases tab, not from the main page, since you can neither buy iPhoto nor update it, but you can reinstall, if your AppleID is associated with it.

So move iPhoto to the Trash (don't empty the Trash), relaunch the App Store. The button to the right if iPhoto should change to Install on the "Purchases" tab.

If you do not see iPhoto there, try to unhide your Purchases as described on this page: Hide and unhide purchases in the Mac App Store - Apple Support

If you do not own an AppStore version of iPhoto you will not be able to install iPhoto on your Mac, unless you can talk the App Store Support into providing you with a redeem code for iPhoto so you can install it. Give the App Store Support a call. The "Support" link is between the Quick Links on the Main Page.

Jul 10, 2015 11:43 AM in response to Lynngator

. For example, when I try to drag and drop a recent photo, say to Facebook. It does not go anywhere. I have to drag it to the desktop, then post it from there.

The Photos.app is a brand-new application, and many older applications are not yet compatible with it. The manufactures need to provide updates. You can only drag-and-drop to the newest apple applications, but not to older third-party browsers, to office documents,etc.

. They are there and not lost! But it still only recognizes pictures in the library up to 2011 and not beyond.

Perhaps the library needs repairing. How to repair is described here: Repair your library

iPhoto library has mostly disappeared after update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.