Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reset iTunes backup password

I forgot my iTunes backup password. I don't need to restore my iPhone but need to reset the password. If I uninstall iTunes and reinstall it can I then change the password?

iPhone 4S

Posted on Jul 6, 2015 6:44 AM

12 replies

Jan 23, 2017 5:26 PM in response to bmilyard

Hi I am a iPhone 6s user. I have a problem with my iPhone. My Apple ID is **** @hotmail. com

But when I want to enter Apple Store to updates it's ask me this I'd **** @gmail.com . It's not my I'd . Once one of my friend used my iPhone but I remove his I'd from this device. I use normally good with my iPhone. But when I want to update this problem occurs. Help me please

Thank you

<Emails Edited by Host>

Jun 12, 2017 4:59 AM in response to bmilyard

Just sharing hoping it may help someone

My husband's MacBook had run out of space for backup. I took backup of his iPhone 5S in my MacBook to switch over to a new 6S. But restore from backup prompted incorrect password. I tried changing the iTunes backup password but it continued prompting incorrect password. I thought I almost lost my iTunes password.

Then I connected my iPhone and noticed, I could change my iPhone's iTunes backup password.

Finally, I understood that the iPhone backup password is different for each phone and that my husband's iTunes password is the one he specified in his laptop.

So I connected his iPhone to his laptop and changed the iTunes backup password. Using the new password, I succeeded in setting up the new iPhone by restoring the backup from my laptop. (You may also look up for the password from keychain of the machine where the password was set and then restore the backup.)

Jul 6, 2015 8:29 AM in response to bmilyard

General information about IOS backups, including encryption: iTunes: About iOS backups - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4946

help with Iphone backup encryption password lost but stuck on itunes settings - https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4983671?answerId=21834101022#21834101022 - delete your existing backups: iTunes>Preferences>Devices

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7044041 - Option to remove encryption not available

About encrypted backups in iTunes - Apple Support - http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203790

Jul 10, 2015 12:40 PM in response to bmilyard

From the support document that Limnos provided you earlier, About encrypted backups in iTunes - Apple Support

How can I turn off iTunes backup encryption?

To turn off iTunes backup encryption, enter the password and uncheck the Encrypted backup box in iTunes. Your encryption password is always required to turn off backup encryption.

You can't use an encrypted backup if you don't have the password. If you forgot your password, the only way to turn off backup encryption on your device is to erase your device and set up as new. Erasing removes all data from your device. If you don't want to erase your device, restore from an iCloud backup instead.

Oct 27, 2016 4:39 AM in response to bmilyard

The password recovery tools I've seen only work on PC, not mac - with one exception (Elcomsoft), which wants ridiculous amounts of money.

I'm ridiculously annoyed by this as I only created an encryption yesterday before making a backup, in preparation of upgrading my 6S to a 7. Except now I'm being told the password is wrong! I only set it yesterday! I've tried all the variations and all old passwords/pass codes/generic passwords and codes, no joy. I understand I can make a backup and restore from icloud but I'll lose a lot of passwords and old messages (imessage and whatsapp) doing this - and I only bought a new iphone to avoid these kind of stupid compatibility problems! Sort it out Apple - I'm about to take the phone and new macbook back, and not get the imac and go back to PC/Android... this is ridiculous! AAAAAGGGGGHHHHHHH

Reset iTunes backup password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.