Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 6 Plus iOS 8.4 Voicemail Issue

I recently upgraded to iOS 8.4 on my iPhone 6 Plus by upgrading to 8.3, followed by 8.4. Since then, I have had an issue with voicemail (I am on the Verizon network). I get notifications of missed calls, but no voicemail left by those callers will display. I can temporarily remedy the issue by restarting the phone, at which point the previous voicemails show. But soon afterward it fails to show new ones again.

Is this a known issue with 8.4? Or is this something else that I can fix myself? I'd rather that the resolution preserve settings and apps, but if that is not possible I'd still like to fix the issue regardless. Thanks!

- Lee

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.1

Posted on Jul 6, 2015 7:29 AM

6 replies

Jul 9, 2015 9:28 AM in response to quixotic68

Also having the same problem - iPhone 6 with iOS 8.4.

So far, with WiFi turned off, missed phone calls and voice mails messages appear to work fine. In this case, the phone displays a "Voicemail & Missed Call" message after the message has been left. When WiFi is turned on, the phone displays a "Missed Call" message as soon as it makes the handoff to the voicemail message system (ie, as the voicemail announcement / greeting message is played).

As another poster commented, this problem can be temporarily fixed by resetting the phone or performing a network reset. The phone will then work properly until WiFi is turned on again.

The short-term work around is to use LTE, not WiFi. Not a great alternative, but it seems to work. Will try it for the rest of the day and make updates if this isn't accurate.

I have not tried a full iOS re-install from iTunes.

One final note: I am not having this issue on an iPhone 5s w/ 8.4

Jul 12, 2015 11:42 AM in response to quixotic68

I Have A 4s, updated to 8.4 on 06/30 in the morning. It took me until 07/10 to realize I had a problem with voicemail. I had one person tell me they left a message and I only saw a missed call. Thought nothing of it, every so often that happens and pops up later. When I realized a few days later that I was getting missed calls left and right and NO ONE was leaving a message I thought something was wrong for sure. Generally, turning it off and back on resolves things like this, but not this time. I called my phone from another line and found that my custom voicemail was gone and was giving the default message. Despite this, it was still allowing people to leave messages, so why were the messages not coming up? I attempted to record a new custom message but everytime I hit save it would say Error And something about the network. I took it off of wifi, and tried using my data (I'm with cricket) - but this still did not resolve the issue. I removed the cricket SIM card and shut off the phone. When I turned the phone back on minus the SIM card it said ACTIVATION REQUIRED. Sure enough, the iPhone said I needed to activate the phone itself. I had to put in my Apple ID and password and then I put my SIM card back in. After this, it allowed me to record a voicemail and save it. When I tried calling again from another phone, I did hear the new custom message and the voicemail popped up immediately (along with 11 other voicemails I have missed since June 30th)

Jul 12, 2015 5:04 PM in response to ScratchSF

Decided to perform a full restore using iTunes to see if it corrected the problem. So far, this seems to have corrected the problem - at least with initial testing. So, I have now been able to turn on WiFi, receive a phone call and get the voicemail notification.

Of course, as part of performing the full reinstall, I also performed a reset of all content and settings. So, it is possible that the reset step alone is what corrected the problem.

iPhone 6 Plus iOS 8.4 Voicemail Issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.