Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

migrating photos from external hard drive to macbook pro

I am a new MacBook Pro user converting finally from PC. I have moved all files over using my external hard drive. Unfortunately, when I drop my pictures folder from the external hard drive onto the photos app or even in the appropriate tab in Finder, only a portion of the photos are visible in the photos app. That being said I waited almost 2 hours for my 150GB worth of images to transfer over but as mentioned only a small portion are visible. Any suggestions on how to transfer these files over properly? Much appreciated.

BVT

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014), iOS 8.4

Posted on Jul 6, 2015 8:32 AM

5 replies

Jul 6, 2015 9:25 AM in response to BVT MB

How is your external drive formatted? There may be a permissions problem with the files on the drive so the photos cannot be imported.

Select your drive in the Finder and press the key combination ⌘I (for File > Get Info). In the Info panel enable the "Ignore ownership on this volume" flag.

User uploaded file

When you try to import a folder with photos from your external drive you should be able to see something similar to this:

User uploaded file

In the sidebar you should be seeing an "Import" section with the name of your drive or folder showing. It will list the number of new photos. You select the photos you want to import and press "Import selected" or Import all new photos.

Photos may need a very long time to populate this screen. Photos in an incompatible format will not show at all, for example, RAW files that are not supported.

Jul 6, 2015 2:56 PM in response to léonie

Leonie,

Thank you for the response. I have followed your clear and detailed instructions and when I open the hard drive preferences under sharing and permissions it says read only and does not provide me the option to check off that box. Also, I reattempted to move the file over into my photos and I did not see the appropriate tabs light up offering to import all files. Any other ideas?

Thank you

Jul 6, 2015 3:06 PM in response to BVT MB

Thank you for the response. I have followed your clear and detailed instructions and when I open the hard drive preferences under sharing and permissions it says read only and does not provide me the option to check off that box.

Then the drive you are using has a filesystem where it is not possible to enable that option.

Could you try to import smaller subsets of your photos, folder by folder? Copy some folders from your external drive to your Pictures folder and then use the command "File > Import" in Photos to import the folders from your Pictures folder. This way you can check if the file system on your external drive is causing the problems or the image format of the photos you are trying to import.

migrating photos from external hard drive to macbook pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.