Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Did a i tunes up date and lost 6300 songs. I have a ipod classic. all the songs are still on the device, but not on itunes.

I have a I pod classic. Did an update for I tunes and lost about 6300 songs. Has any one else had this problem?

iPod classic, Windows 7

Posted on Jul 6, 2015 9:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply
6 replies

Oct 22, 2016 8:01 AM in response to sbmc64

sbmc64 wrote:

I updated on my i-pod and lost all songs both on i-pod and all those purchased through I -tunes. have them still through old e-mail that no longer exists, on a computer that crashed and burned. Is there a way of getting all those songs back?

You don’t have an iTunes library on a computer and backup of that computer?

You can redownload the iTunes purchases using iTunes.

Oct 22, 2016 8:54 AM in response to sbmc64

Define crash and burn. I've rescued data from the hard drives of systems that would no longer boot. As given you should also be able to redownload your past purchases made on any Apple accounts that you've had, or indeed those with others such as Amazon. Ripped media isn't available in the same way, unless perhaps you have maintained an active iTunes Match subscription. The onus is on you to recall or safely record your password, particularly if you are likely to lose access to the email account that could otherwise be used to recover it.

tt2

Oct 22, 2016 1:05 PM in response to turingtest2

Computer that old I-tunes was linked to is dead (crashed and burned) and

destroyed by Best Buy. I updated w/new I-tunes w/different e-mail on

another (this) computer, then tried to sync music, but only synced with 3

albums and lost everything else. This was also now a pay version of

I-tunes. On my computer, it's library no longer shows anything purchased

from I-tunes in past as playable they show, just not highlighted??. All

my albums downloaded are there but I-pod won't upload them under new

version Essentially my I-pod classic has only the 3 albums and lost

everything else. However under the OLD I-tunes which was free, and has old

e-mail that has been deleted and different password, the entire album list

should still exist, but the computer does not. E-mail and password for

I-tunes was updated when got new computer and new version, but all music

lost during sync (except music purchased very recent to that time) Not

happy w/APPLE at all.

On Sat, Oct 22, 2016 at 11:54 AM, Apple Support Communities Updates <

Oct 22, 2016 1:39 PM in response to sbmc64

See Download your past purchases - Apple Support for access to your past purchases. Note that anything that shows in your library as in the cloud needs to be downloaded to your library before it can be transferred to your iPod. Most people only require a single Apple ID. Creating more than one account leads to unnecessary complications.

iTunes remains a free application. Yes Apple may try to suggest you join Apple Music, but that is an ongoing subscription. You might find it useful, since it will let you listen to anything in their catalogue while you have an active subscription, however those tracks cannot be copied to an iPod classic so I suspect it isn't quite what you need.

The information at Empty/corrupt iTunes library after upgrade/crash would help if had previously had your media on the current computer and it had stopped showing after a crash or update.

The information at Recover your iTunes library from your iPod or iOS device would have helped if the media was still on your iPod and you had stopped at the point where iTunes asked you to confirm if you wanted to remove whatever was already on the device and replace it with what was in the library. Since you allowed iTunes to proceed it is now too late to recover that media.

The user tip Backup your iTunes for Windows library with SyncToy details how to make a security copy of your iTunes library, and indeed any other data you consider important, to insulate you from the effects of a failure of your computer's hard drive, user error, or some other disaster.

iTunes may be slightly quirky at times, and not everybody's favourite software, but Apple are not responsible for the death of your previous computer. It would seem Best Buy took away any opportunity for you to recover data from your old drive, but you should have been taking steps to back up that data before the computer died. Having failed to do that you should have taken steps to secure what was still on your iPod before that too was lost. Again, not Apple's responsibility. You could argue that Apple could do a better job of warning you of the consequences of syncing your device, for example stating exactly how many tracks would be added and how many would be removed, I wouldn't argue, however there will have been a warning which you either didn't interpret properly or simply assumed you could ignore.

The combination of your old email address and password should still function as a valid Apple ID allowing you to recover the purchases made from the iTunes Store on that account, barring any that have since been removed from the store by the rights holders. See https://iforgot.apple.com/ to try to gain access to the account. It is obviously more complicated to retrieve an account if you no longer get the email for its address, however it may not be impossible. You can but try.

I've emphasized the text above because too many people assume that when they get a new computer all they have to do is sign into iTunes with their Apple ID and all of the media that they had ripped to their previous computer will be there. This is not the case. You need to actively back up and transfer your data to the new computer. Apple do have a subscription service called iTunes Match which can provide access to your own tracks on more than one computer, but it is no substitute for a properly made backup of your own.

tt2

Did a i tunes up date and lost 6300 songs. I have a ipod classic. all the songs are still on the device, but not on itunes.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.