Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to create a shortcut key to insert a special character

OS X 10.10.4, Pages 5.5.3

I am writing a paper on a card game and I would like to create some shortcut key's that will insert the following characters into my text as i write.

♠ ♣

Is it possible to have the color as above?

Regards

Claudeda

Pages 5.5.3-OTHER, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4), null

Posted on Jul 6, 2015 11:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 6, 2015 12:01 PM

I would use the Edit > Emoji's & Symbols character panel. Type the card suit name into the search panel (e.g., heart, club, diamond, spade). Add each to this panels * Favorites so that you don't have to search for them again. You double-click to add them to your document, where you can appropriately apply colors.

You may have to first click the gear icon in the upper left toolbar of the character panel, and select customize. Check Unicode from Code Tables, and any others that are useful. These will show as categories in the left panel, and are available to the preceding search.

The other approach is in System Preferences ▸ Keyboard ▸ Text, where you can add keyboard shortcuts as replace/with pairs.

The image shows that I have added the card suite chars from the Emojis & Symbols panel using a double-click to place them in the with column. I followed each with a return to set it. There is no means to colorize these until after they are inserted in a document. Like any text, they can be enlarged. The left column replace abbreviations are arbitrary. You will need to ensure that in Pages that you have selected Edit ▸ Substitutions ▸ Text Replacement.

User uploaded file

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 6, 2015 12:01 PM in response to claudeda

I would use the Edit > Emoji's & Symbols character panel. Type the card suit name into the search panel (e.g., heart, club, diamond, spade). Add each to this panels * Favorites so that you don't have to search for them again. You double-click to add them to your document, where you can appropriately apply colors.

You may have to first click the gear icon in the upper left toolbar of the character panel, and select customize. Check Unicode from Code Tables, and any others that are useful. These will show as categories in the left panel, and are available to the preceding search.

The other approach is in System Preferences ▸ Keyboard ▸ Text, where you can add keyboard shortcuts as replace/with pairs.

The image shows that I have added the card suite chars from the Emojis & Symbols panel using a double-click to place them in the with column. I followed each with a return to set it. There is no means to colorize these until after they are inserted in a document. Like any text, they can be enlarged. The left column replace abbreviations are arbitrary. You will need to ensure that in Pages that you have selected Edit ▸ Substitutions ▸ Text Replacement.

User uploaded file

how to create a shortcut key to insert a special character

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.