Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

orientation freezes after 8.4 update

A few days after updating the ipad air to ios 8.4 it has begun to stop detecting change of orientation after a random time following a cold start.

iPad Air, iOS 8.4

Posted on Jul 6, 2015 11:19 AM

8 replies

Jul 8, 2015 8:08 AM in response to MartineauAlain

Greetings MartineauAlain,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

I understand that you have noticed some issues with the orientation not changing on your iPad as you would expect. My first suggestion for troubleshooting would be to check and see if the Side Switch is set to Orientation Lock or Mute.

As described in the attached article below, if the side switch is set to Mute then Orientation Lock will be located in Control Center and vice versa. Make sure that your iPad doesn’t inadvertently have Orientation Lock enabled.

About the iPad Side Switch - Apple Support

Cheers,

Joe

Jul 8, 2015 9:08 AM in response to TreyH8739

Same issue here, also with iPad Air 2.

The pop-up control bay (where WiFi, Bluetooth etc resides) shows the orientation lock is off, but after a while the iPad will stop switching orientation.

Tried pressing the top right button to put it to sleep, then waking it again, and swipe-up-quitting apps too, but it still won't bring the orientation back.

What DOES bring the orientation back is closing the magnetic cover on the iPad case (to put it to sleep) then opening again to wake. Then orientation will work.

So here's what i see after some quick testing:if you leave the case open so the iPad goes to sleep automatically after a minute or so, it loses the orientation switching function when you wake it via the home button, on/off button etc.

iOS 8.4

iPad Air 2 64gb

orientation freezes after 8.4 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.