Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to have tracks played in sequence not randomlyI am a classical/jazz listener. When I SEARCH an entire multi-track work I want to hear the tracks only in sequence not played in random order. How can I tell the iPOD to play tracks in numerical se

I am a classical/jazz listener. When I SEARCH an entire multi-track work I want

to hear the tracks only in sequence not played in random order. How can I

tell the iPOD to play tracks in numerical sequence?

Posted on Jul 6, 2015 9:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 6, 2015 11:19 AM

Don't use search. Drill down through Artist > Album.

tt2

9 replies

Jul 7, 2015 2:06 AM in response to bullardt

bullardt wrote:

I went from "Music" on one screen to "Artist" (new window) and thence to "Album" (same window), and pressed play. The tracks came up in random order not in sequence.

It's not as simple as the column header being used to control the order of the display, is it?

In the view (I use) shown below, where I have selected the artist and then a particular album, the songs are out of track order. But notice the "sort arrow" at the top of the Last Played column. That's how this view is being sorted.

User uploaded file

A simple click of the column header Track No. will change the same view to the correct song order:

User uploaded file

Jul 7, 2015 3:34 AM in response to turingtest2

Oops!

Hi Steve,

senior moment there! That's what comes of going to the iTunes discussions before the iPod Classic ones.

I think you're correct in that it's a problem with track numbering, or disc numbering, in iTunes.

What I can confirm is that (as you suspected) at least one method of using Search on an iPod Classic does return the results in a non-track order:

• If I Search for Fulfillingness, for which there is only one album, the returned results are in the correct track order.
  • If I Search on Stevie (as in Stevie Wonder), the returned list has seven albums, and when I select Fufillingness, the track list is in a (song title) alphabetical order.
  • From the same "artist name" search, if I choose another of his albums, again, the list in in alphabetical order.

So searching for the album name returns the album list in correct track order (assuming track {and if relevant, disc} numbering is completed for each track. Searching on the artist name and then selecting the required album appears to put the songs in alphabetical order.

Edited by the fiend ("I think you're correct" paragraph)

How to have tracks played in sequence not randomlyI am a classical/jazz listener. When I SEARCH an entire multi-track work I want to hear the tracks only in sequence not played in random order. How can I tell the iPOD to play tracks in numerical se

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.