Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help me make sense of the ios photo filing system.

Help me make sense of the ios photo filing system. When I plug my iphone6+ into my windows computer and look at it as a hard drive, I go to iPhone, DIM, and then I get 25 or 30 folders that have alpha and numerical mixed names and make no sense to me. They seem to be in numerical order but that has no relation to the most current pictures you have taken. Is there some way to decipher what these folder names mean and how I might understand them? Or are they totally random and we aren't supposed to understand them. When I've just taken some shots I need for my business and I look here as a hard drive, I have no clue as to which folder my latest shot are in. Can anyone explain these strangely titled folders?

iPad 2, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Jul 6, 2015 10:41 AM

2 replies

Jul 8, 2015 8:12 AM in response to Brett L

I'm not looking for a way to import all my pictures and make a vacation scrapbook or anything like that. It used to be until a few IOS versions ago, that you could open your iPhone as a drive, double click on the DCIM folder and there were all your pictures. Best of all, the most recent picture you took were at the bottom of the file. You could go there, select the 3 or 6 pictures you had just taken and copy them to another location on your computer's hard drive. How simple, how efficient.

But now when you take these same steps you open the DCIM and see dozens of folders with names that are alpha and numerical and have absolutely no relevance to when photos were taken and no chronological order to help you find the pictures you just took and want to copy to elsewhere. What do these folder names like 807CIQGG, 964THEPN, and 908FTQWJ mean? How does the iPhone decide when to start a new folder? There seems to be no reason or rhyme for how many photos are in the folders when a new one is started. The photos you just took are in one of these folders, but not the last one. You wind up having to open every single folder to find the photos you just took. Why did they have to do this? It was such an easy thing to do before and you didn't need any other unwanted application to make sense of it. I wish Apple would put it back like it was!

Jul 8, 2015 7:51 AM in response to Steve Garman

Greetings Steve,

You may find it easier to import pictures from your iPhone to your Windows computer by following the directions in this article -

Import photos and videos from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to your Mac or Windows PC - Apple Support

Start with the section titled Import media to a Windows PC.

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Be well,

Brett L

Help me make sense of the ios photo filing system.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.