Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Someone is using my IP address

Hi! Was on an open wifi in Greece and my computer said that someone is using my wifi-address. What can have have happened and How do I protect my content? Did not have my firewall up. Appreciate response. Thanks!

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jul 6, 2015 11:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 6, 2015 11:39 AM

On a public WiFi someone captured your wireless traffic and IP address. Always keep the firewall up and running. Check into setting up a Virtual Private Network, VPN, so your machine is hidden when on a public WiFi.

7 replies

Jul 6, 2015 11:56 AM in response to Mammamaia1010

Most likely scenario is capturing wireless traffic - if you sent any credit card or account information over that WiFi, change all passwords and notify the banks that your cards may have been compromised.

When you turn the computer on, turn off the networking so you do not broadcast a wireless signal.

Go to Finder, Applications, Utilities, and run Activity Report and look at the information showing for CPU, you will see a panel that shows the processes that are running. See if anything in there looks like software that captures keystrokes, spy information, anything suspicious. It is less likely anything was put on the machine, more likely that they were capturing data transmission.

Jul 6, 2015 5:41 PM in response to Mammamaia1010

NO, don't touch those, you cannot end them anyway. Root is the ultimate owner, or super user, of everything associated with the operating system. Kernel task is the operating system, the actual core of the Unix operating system which is the basis of Mac OS X is called the kernel, as in the kernel of a seed...engineers are so creative in naming things

Other ther names of processes are wheel, daemon, your ID, so things the may look strange are ok. Any that strike you as questionable, just ask.

Someone is using my IP address

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.