Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Air Will Not Boot

The day that iOS 8.4 was released, my iPad Air apparently died. When I went to bed it had about 60% battery, and when I tried to use it the following day it was unresponsive. I don't know if it downloaded or tried to install iOS 8.4, but the last time it booted, it was running 8.3. I believe it might be a hardware failure, but any help with this is appreciated. Here are the steps I've taken to determine this:

• On its own, the iPad Air does not respond to pressing the Home button, nor to resetting the device (holding the Home and Lock buttons).
  • If I plug it in with its charger, I can get it to boot to the Apple logo screen, but then the screen goes black (the screen itself is lit, it is just black). The device dies as soon as I remove it from power.

I also tried charging the unit for 2 hours before attempting to reboot it, with no luck. The unit got very hot while it was trying to charge.

• If I plug it into my Mac, the computer does not respond to it, nor does the iPad respond at all (not even the booting to a black screen behavior that I just described). It doesn't appear to be attempting to charge, nor does it get hot.

I tried the steps in the article If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch doesn't respond or doesn't turn on - Apple Support

• This did not work.
  • Oddly enough, when I had the iPad plugged in and booted up Windows 10 in Parallels, Parallels reported a new device and asked whether to use it with Windows or OSX. I chose Windows, but iTunes in WIndows did not register the device either.

I got the iPad Air in Nov 2013, so it is not even 2 years old yet. It is in mint condition, has never been dropped/damaged, comes from an adult-only home, and spends most of its life unplugged and in standby.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks 🙂

iPad Air, iOS 8.3

Posted on Jul 6, 2015 12:50 PM

There are no replies.

iPad Air Will Not Boot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.