Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After security update 2015-005 my files at documents folder disappear

Hello everyone,

I've had some problems after I installed the security update 2015-005. All my files at documents folder disappeared.

Anyone had this same problem? Is there any way to recover these files?

Thank you!

Rose

Posted on Jul 6, 2015 11:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 6, 2015 11:40 AM

You may check to see if the issue may be alleviated by running the Disk Utility's

'repair disk permissions' on the Macintosh HD partition where the OS X lives.

For this, you need not boot into the Recovery version OS X Utilities, but instead

simply use the Disk Utility from Go in the Finder menu bar, and choose Utilities.

This takes you direct to the folder, then locate Disk utility. Other options are limited

in this method, since boot system is not unmounted (as would be the case if you

were to start in Recovery and choose to use OS X Utilities from there.)

When I update or add content, sometimes I do this at some point or another.

In older versions of OS X it was helpful or appeared to be. And I had no issue

with the security update to Mavericks 10.9.5. All together, there were three items

that were updated when the prompt appeared showing new updates available.

Good luck in any event...! 🙂

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 6, 2015 11:40 AM in response to rmaryf

You may check to see if the issue may be alleviated by running the Disk Utility's

'repair disk permissions' on the Macintosh HD partition where the OS X lives.

For this, you need not boot into the Recovery version OS X Utilities, but instead

simply use the Disk Utility from Go in the Finder menu bar, and choose Utilities.

This takes you direct to the folder, then locate Disk utility. Other options are limited

in this method, since boot system is not unmounted (as would be the case if you

were to start in Recovery and choose to use OS X Utilities from there.)

When I update or add content, sometimes I do this at some point or another.

In older versions of OS X it was helpful or appeared to be. And I had no issue

with the security update to Mavericks 10.9.5. All together, there were three items

that were updated when the prompt appeared showing new updates available.

Jul 6, 2015 12:29 PM in response to rmaryf

Did you restart the computer after the update, and after it may have automatically re-started anyway?

I'd try start up in Safe Mode, as that checked files, and also re-try the 'repair disk permissions', then

restart again to get out of Safe Mode. (Also, as separate if not first idea, try to run Disk Utility from

the Recovery mode, where OS X Utilities offers several choices, and be wary of doing more than a

'repair disk' there, since this can erase all content, among other things. It also can replace the OS X.

Safe Mode can be used to help troubleshoot or maybe even fix certain issues; generally it does no harm.

•Try safe mode if your Mac doesn't finish starting up - Apple Support

About OS X Recovery and details on how to use it:

•OS X: About OS X Recovery - Apple Support

This also can be used to restore or install a new system, so be careful to not do more than 'repair disk'

from the Disk Utility section available in OS X Utilities in recovery. This is not a permissions repair, but

that should also be one of the choices available in this mode. The more strenuous utilities available

can be used to format or erase hard drives, and other tasks, so be detail oriented & cautious.

Does your computer have a second user account? Sometimes, user account issues can be resolved

by simply logging out of the main account and running the Mac in a second user account; then restart

or move back to the default main account. (The default would be the one chosen if set to automatically

start in one user account and not require manual login.) Some users don't run an Admin as a daily user.

Anyway, troubleshooting can be hit and miss. Like some old western movie or gunsmoke re-run where

they try and try to hit cans or bottles with their shootin-iron. Except this is supposed to resolve issues

and not make broken glass or holey metal.

After security update 2015-005 my files at documents folder disappear

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.