Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Updating Jaguar

So I got a PowerBook G4 running Tiger (10.4.11). Now I would like to run Jaguar on it. I have Jaguar install discs, but they install 10.2.0, and the minimum for my PowerBook is 10.2.8. But I'm getting closer to installing Jaguar. I installed it on a USB stick by searching through the discs for the correct package. I also installed the "Additional Applications" package, which installed iPhoto, iMovie, and iTunes. But the USB drive runs 10.2.0, not a OS that runs on the PowerBook G4. But I do have a copy of the 10.2.8 update package, and I copied the files that it installs to my desktop. Sure, I could manually update Jaguar, but that would take 1-2 hours, and I figured there must be an easier way. When I try to install the update by opening the package, the discs and USB drive all "do not meet the requirements". So how can I update my USB drive so I can copy the contents to my PowerBook? If I must drag and replace each individual file with the files I copied out of the package, I will, but if there's another way, please tell me!

PowerBook, Mac OS X (10.4.11), G4

Posted on Jul 6, 2015 11:28 AM

3 replies

Jul 7, 2015 6:25 AM in response to HFTaylor12

Sorry you haven't received any answer yet. Mid-summer seems to slow response time possibly becasue there are fewer helpers lurking, and around holiday weekends it is worse. I, for one, have remodel contractors running all over the house, reducing the time I can spend here.

First: are the Jaguar disks full retail install disks, grey system disks, or burned CDs?

We need to pin down your exact G4 Powerbook variant. I don't think we can progress without it, given the issues of "what can and can't run." Each variant has different min system capabilities.

The easiest way is to find the serial number and enter it in this Apple support page:

https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do

The return will look like this:

User uploaded file

Please include the full description including screen size BUT NOT the serial number in a response to this post.

That may not work if the computer is too old. In that case, you can get the same report using this third-party page:

http://www.everymac.com/ultimate-mac-lookup/

Report what if says for model and screen size.

Jul 17, 2015 8:35 AM in response to HFTaylor12

I'm glad you got it sorted but am extremely curious why you wanted Jaguar. It always felt "beta" to me (starting with 10.3 Panther, OSX felt "finished and polished" to me) and many people have trouble with it regularly throwing an "invalid key length" error that requires an archive and install of the OS.

I'm always keen to see what cool things people do with their Macs, so if the Jag need revolves around that, I've love to hear back from you.

Updating Jaguar

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.