Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Double NAT message when my IP is set to private?

I bought a 2TB Airport TIme Capsule a few years ago and am just now hooking it up in place of my old router. I initially got a Double NAT message and blinking yellow light. The wi-fi still worked though. I researched it and got it to go away and turn solid green by logging into my Motorola modem and changing my IP address from private to public.

The wi-fi and Time Machine both worked fine before fixing NAT message (with private IP) and after fixing it (with public IP. Since both ways seemed to work, which way should I keep it? Are there any risks involved by having the public IP? Also, I have AT&T for internet. Thanks!

Airport Time Capsule-OTHER, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Jul 6, 2015 11:27 AM

1 reply

Jul 6, 2015 1:50 PM in response to mdenham2

What model is your modem?

What you have likely done is bridged the modem.. you have turned off its NAT.. so now the only NAT is the TC.

This is correct way to run things.. Double NAT is wrong.

Are there any risks involved by having the public IP?

No .. you have always had a public IP.. only it used to be on the modem.. now it is on the router.. the computers still have private IP addresses so the change makes little or no difference to security.

Double NAT message when my IP is set to private?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.