Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is a public IP address okay?

I have an older 2TB Airport TIme Capsule and a Motorola modem with AT&T internet. When I log into my modem and set my IP to private, I get a Double NAT notification in Airport Utility, but the wi-fi still works. If I set my IP to public, I don't get the error anymore and the blinking yellow light on the Time Capsule turns solid green. Are there any risks involved with having my IP set to public? My wi-fi is password protected either way.

Airport Time Capsule-OTHER, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Jul 6, 2015 11:32 AM

11 replies

Jul 6, 2015 11:58 AM in response to mdenham2

You should address the status of the Time Capsule's wi-fi settings.

•Wi-Fi base station: Understanding and resolving a blinking amber status light - Apple Support

•AirPort base stations: About AirPort base station status lights (LED) - Apple Support

http://www.apple.com/support/airport/timecapsule/

http://www.apple.com/support/airport/

The above should be similar to the wi-fi section of Time Capsule since

the TC is basically an AirPort Extreme with backup storage capacity.

Note the airport and time capsule support page has an article on how to reset the devices.

While that may not be necessary, be sure to consider a full re-set as though it were new.

•Resetting an AirPort base station FAQ - Apple Support

While in Public settings, especially in default mode, it would be easy for someone to use your

internet access point and bandwidth; perhaps also appear as you online since your account

is then in use for whatever purposes someone else may put to it. Change your password in

the base station wi-fi & remember it. Also note your devices would need to use it to connect

w/ new password for the wireless router along with other settings should be double-checked.

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

Jul 6, 2015 12:14 PM in response to mdenham2

In public mode, (depending on what is actually visible or detectable by someone online, nearby) you

may be less secure because someone could discover your password; the default password for the

public setting is 'default' or something everyone would guess. It is better to find out the root cause of

the real problem so the level of security expected & assured by the correct setting is available to you.

Another item I'd noticed, in a different thread about wireless connections via Time Capsule airport, is

this thread: Connecting second mac to Time Capsule and it has some information about setup that

may be helpful, in that to refresh all the settings may help solve the flashing light issue, because that

is a warning of something that needs attention. This article covers a different matter than your issue

appears to, however the parts that attend to setting up the wireless (& ethernet to Time capsule) are

important to revisit if there is an issue, as part of troubleshooting the configuration.

For more general information, there is this basic to moderate topic with sectional info for wi-fi:

•Solutions for connecting to the Internet, setting up a small network, and troubleshooting - Apple Support

The AirPort Utility would be the main access point to correct settings with an AirPort Time Capsule.

In a populated area, it is possible for several persons and systems to use a few wi-fi channels, so it

also may be wise to change the channel number used by the base station (wi-fi) and if your computer

is used close to the base station, you could reduce the power and limit the signal so neighbors do not

see your wi-fi base station as a target to try & get online, by using your account. Protect the router

and your access point from other users, as some may have more in mind than using pirated wi-fi.

Also, it is possible to have a wireless network that is not visible to the public, by not broadcasting a name.

A simple thing and may not be of much consequence if you keep up with other precautionary security.

Good luck & happy computing! 😉

Jul 6, 2015 12:40 PM in response to Bob Timmons

In several cases of using older AirPort base stations and Time Capsule setups, when one resets wi-fi

base or TC to factory defaults, the Default is a simple password -- that Apple suggests you change.

This is the case with four of my AirPort extreme and AirPort Express base stations, and several

articles (some I have bookmarked & read of this, just today; did not copy the URL to paste here)

still say the default is an easy guess, so set up a definite password. And change them occasionally.

While I'm advocating a more secure local connection for the original poster's situation, in the process

of re-setting the products at hand, the issue should be resolved. And there are good reasons to do it.

Depending on the vintage of airport hardware, time capsule, and airport utility, the features may vary.

So may the wording in control settings and in other documentation over time. But what I said is OK.

And my wireless setups work across most OS X versions; from Tiger 10.4.11 to 10.9.5, here & now. 😝

Jul 6, 2015 12:45 PM in response to K Shaffer

In several cases of using older AirPort base stations and Time Capsule setups, when one resets wi-fi

base or TC to factory defaults, the Default is a simple password -- that Apple suggests you change.

This is correct, but has nothing to do with whether the IP address that appears at the WAN port of the AirPort is Public or Private.

You are telling us about a wireless network password......not an IP address that is being used to connect to the Internet.

Jul 7, 2015 3:18 AM in response to Bob Timmons

What I was trying to say (again) is that the user has a choice to make, to be able to

use and set up the wi-fi network so the yellow light does not flash and the settings

are correct for the configuration in place.

That should be able to solve the issue, if the processes are completed correctly,

and resolve that problem And I don't know how your answer to me helps that

person set up their system software/hardware better.

So what if a Public Network (is or is not) different than a Public IP address?

The user can set up a wireless router and time capsule correctly and alleviate

the amber flashing warning light, along with accessibility questions. Or leave it

as-is and then wonder how open it has become, by failing to address the setup

of it. Simple generic meanings can provide a less technical idea, and if someone

want to set up their wi-fi by using MAC addresses and ethernet equivalent pro-

tections, that is OK in certain environs. But I did not see they were asking about

that kind of private access. The main problem should be addressed, not semantics

of the other answers or issues a different solution could supply to that situation.

Definition - What does Public Network mean?

A public network is a type of network wherein anyone, namely the general public, has access and through it can connect to other networks or the Internet. This is in contrast to a private network, where restrictions and access rules are established in order to relegate access to a select few. Since a public network has few or no restrictions, users need to be wary of possible security risks when accessing it.

Techopedia explains Public Network

A public network is a usage designation rather than a topology or other technically related principle. There is no technical difference between a private and public network in terms of hardware and infrastructure, except for the security, addressing and authentication systems in place.

Because any user can connect to a public network, its level of security needs to be heightened and various anti-threat and malicious act precautions must be put in place. Because anyone is able to access the network, malicious users may try to infiltrate the systems of unsuspecting users. Many company secrets have been stolen from executives using their laptops in coffee shops with public Wi-Fi.

•"What is a Public Network?" http://www.techopedia.com/definition/26424/public-network

• By comparison, see "What is a Private Network?" http://www.techopedia.com/definition/26423/private-network

Since the original post does not imply they wish to actually setup a less secure system,

or fix what is plainly reported as an incorrect setup by the AirPort Time Capsule (airport

extreme, express, etc) wi-fi amber warning lights, as a way to fix the real underlying

problem. And I suggest they do attempt to resolve the first issue, as it is likely only a matter

of applying the correct settings for the unit and configuration to function without the yellow

light. It can/should be green.

Perhaps the first question could have been worded differently, while its premise

suggests a cure to the wi-fi issue was not being sought... Like, how many right

turns do I have to make, to avoid a left turn? LOL.

If the topic really was about Static vs Dynamic IP addresses, or other just to hide the IP

address (which I mentioned) that should be asked in the course of a few exchanges, and

an update of that topic by the O.P. To be able to setup and use Online Anonymity for pri-

vate access, is one thing. To fix the AirPort/Time Capsule's blinking yellow light is quite

another. I did not see the question as being so much about the IP question, but to

resolve the initial problem.

"If you use a direct (routed) connection to the Internet, you must use public addresses. If you use an indirect connection such as a proxy server or Network Address Translator (NAT), use private addresses. If your organization is not connected to the Internet, use private addresses (rather than "unauthorized" addresses) so that if you later connect to the Internet using an indirect connection, you do not need to change addresses already in use.

If you connect to the Internet by using an Internet service provider (ISP), the ISP might provide only private addresses. The ISP itself uses public addresses to connect to the Internet."

- TCP/IP Public or Private Addressing, Microsoft Tech Library.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc759287%28v=ws.10%29.aspx

generic search: this could have been the first question...

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Is+a+public+IP+address+secure+enough+for+home+users%3F &t=ffab

However at 2AM local DST, this is not an important issue, when there are answers.

I'd fix the first issue, first. The other matter has more to do with the settings. If the

unit is reporting an error & has a warning light, that can be ignored, but should it be?

That's not my call.

-- And so I'm done, because I can solve problems as I find them, easily enough. 😐User uploaded file

Jul 8, 2015 4:26 AM in response to mdenham2

Hopefully you are able to adjust the base station and correct the settings to see if the

flashing yellow warning light can be resolved, because that is often a simple cure.

The other issue with Public vs Private IP is also a matter of settings and can be an

inconvenient choice to use Private (or MAC address used for each of your devices

in a local network wi-fi, should visitors on-site hope to or expect to be able to use it)

and as a better margin of Public IP address safety, when your wi-fi base is visible to

any passersby or others trolling for a free ride on others wi-fi, to change the password

and perhaps also set the wireless router/base station so it is not openly visible, too.

•Security Configuration Guides - Apple Support:

https://www.apple.com/support/security/guides/

I've never set my wi-fi units to Private, but for the most part have lived in areas where

the main concern would be someone parking at the end of a long driveway out in the

Kenai Mountains small town where I've lived and accidentally find my wi-fi existed.

But that was easily remedied by changing password & also not broadcasting its name.

Mine was set up to allow me and some visiting relatives internet access, and access

to wireless bonjour printing, across a yard from parked RVs or outbuildings; via AirPort

Extreme, with both dialup and ADSL access. An additional antenna was needed for this.

Other more paranoid relatives north of Anchorage had their wi-fi (in house) set up so

every product used its machine address or MAC and no visitors could use their wi-fi.

For my more secure internet access, a separate channel for visitors (second base) &

also use of Ethernet were also useful. You can do much of what you'd need in settings.

In any event...

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

Jul 9, 2015 10:47 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Oh, by the way, my first reply did answer the question.

The matter of the amber light and following a standard

setup regimen would resolve the transparent issue. To

also learn of how to harden security over ones router +

wi-fi & computer devices also, is something to consider.

Now, I am (probably) done, at least as far as you are concerned. 😝

Is a public IP address okay?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.