Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Memory bus speed set to 1600mhz after installing new memory

Hi:

I installed some ram on my mac pro(late 2013), before I did the bus speed was 1866mhz the new memory is 1866mhz too, but after installing the new modules the bus speed is now set to 1600mhz, any ideas on how to set the correct speed on the bios?

Thanks.

time capsule-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Jul 6, 2015 12:42 PM

7 replies

Jul 6, 2015 1:37 PM in response to goonieiam

Your link says "

Kingston HyperX Savage 16GB Kit (2x8GB) 1866MHz DDR3 Non-ECC CL9 DIMM XMP (HX318C9SRK2/16)

"

The Mac Pros use ECC (error correction) memory. You may be able to use only non-ECC memory but mixing ECC and non-ECC causes problems.

Also remember you can't mix registered and non- registered ECC memory. 4GB and 8 GB are ECC memory are typically not registered, the Apple and OWC ones are not registered

Jul 7, 2015 1:36 PM in response to goonieiam

DO NOT use non-ECC RAM in your Server-Class Mac Pro. Installing ANY defeats one of the best features of these Macs -- the ability to keep working across minor memory errors AND knowing that quirky problems are NOT caused by random memory errors.

If installing these modules changed the speed, these are clearly not the correct modules for your Mac Pro. Buy from a knowledgeable Vendor who can tell YOU what to Install, and warrants:

"It works in your MAC,

Or your Money BACK."

Memory bus speed set to 1600mhz after installing new memory

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.