Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

airport extreme support time machine volumes?

I have a brand-new Airport Extreme.

I want to know if it supports Time Machine volumes. This document from Apple says, yes, then no:

AirPort base stations: Time Machine hard drive compatibility - Apple Support

Posted on Jul 6, 2015 11:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 6, 2015 12:05 PM

If you check the Apple support document a bit closer, you will see that Time Machine is supported on the new 802.11ac model of the AirPort Extreme.

Time Machine works with:

External USB hard drive connected to AirPort Time Capsule (any model) or AirPort Extreme (802.11ac model only)

That would mean that Time Machine is not (and has not ever been) supported on other models of the AirPort Extreme.

However, what the document does not tell you, is that the USB port on the new AirPort Extreme (and Time Capsule) is only USB 2.0....and it runs at about half the speed of a USB 2.0 port on a computer. So, if you connect a drive to the USB port on the new AirPort Extreme, backups are going to take about twice as long as they would compared to a USB drive that is connected directly to a Mac.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 6, 2015 12:05 PM in response to Michael Spencer

If you check the Apple support document a bit closer, you will see that Time Machine is supported on the new 802.11ac model of the AirPort Extreme.

Time Machine works with:

External USB hard drive connected to AirPort Time Capsule (any model) or AirPort Extreme (802.11ac model only)

That would mean that Time Machine is not (and has not ever been) supported on other models of the AirPort Extreme.

However, what the document does not tell you, is that the USB port on the new AirPort Extreme (and Time Capsule) is only USB 2.0....and it runs at about half the speed of a USB 2.0 port on a computer. So, if you connect a drive to the USB port on the new AirPort Extreme, backups are going to take about twice as long as they would compared to a USB drive that is connected directly to a Mac.

Jul 6, 2015 2:06 PM in response to Michael Spencer

But it does disallow my plan to put all of my external disks in a closet with the critter.

Not sure why that would be....unless there is more information that we don't know about.

Currently, I have 4 USB drives hooked up to a powered USB hub, and the hub in turn is connected to the USB port on the AirPort Extreme. Works fine......slow....but fine.

airport extreme support time machine volumes?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.