Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

router for MacPro

What routers are good to work with Mac10.10.3.? Cisco is not compatible and I don't know what to choose.

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on Jul 6, 2015 1:17 PM

11 replies

Jul 6, 2015 1:31 PM in response to gazzamusic104

I am a die-hard Netgear user for 20 years. Work perfect and they keep them current with firmware etc (I would not use Airport), mine has worked with Macs, phones (Apple, Samsung) and a wide range of tablets and laptops as well as PCs. Wireless printing and setup were top notch.

Range, signal strength and such are likely to be important. I tend to buy the top end consumer unit in a router, and to protect it with UPS from Cyberpower to insure it stays that way and that filering and surge protection don't adversely affect bandwidth.

Jul 7, 2015 5:15 PM in response to gazzamusic104

just a quick heads-up, gazzamusic104....IF you are going to install Yosemite (10.10.X) then update it to 10.10.3, be advised that 10.10.3 has a wifi problem.

the solution is to upgrade to 10.10.4 before trying anything wifi. I agree with what Lanny said. they should be compatible. I didn't know that cisco made routers-ah, apparently they do. I have a modem/router from my cable co. that's cisco. (DPC 38XX) which can act as a wireless router, I guess. I was told that when using it with an airport or whatever, reboot it, and hold down the little button in the back which turns off the cisco's built in wireless. plug a cable from the ethernet socket of the cisco to the lowermost socket of the airport, turn it on and set it up with Airport Utility and you're good to go, apart from restarting your computer. I can't recommend brands as such...but D-Link I found to be troublesome, as you have to connect an ethernet cable to from the router to your computer, (cable modem not plugged in) and type an address into your web browser to do any kind of setup or configuration at all. You may get it to work, but for me not worth the hassle. Bought a used Airport extreme (5th gen) for around $45. After 10.10.4 came out, I sat down with my cellphone, went to settings, then wifi, the Airport extreme was recognized and used to extend my original Airport Time capsule network. Waited for the extreme to reboot and voila-green light and wifi. Total wait time 15 minutes if that. Ease of setup: pretty easy.

anwyays just my opinion

JB

router for MacPro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.