Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Re: Windows installation via Boot Camp.

Hi I am trying to install Windows 8.1 from a CD onto MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013)

I have progressed so far but now stuck,perhaps some suggestions how to progress may be possibleUser uploaded file

I cannot select the bottom option because of

User uploaded file

The USB 2 memory stick has been formatted via disc utilities.

I have saved a Windows 8.ISO image in Documents

What should be my next steps please?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013), iOS 8.3

Posted on Jul 6, 2015 1:52 PM

9 replies

Jul 7, 2015 2:43 AM in response to Kappy

Thank you for the reply.

As a 77 year old Newby (Excuse) Can you be more specific to the drive you are referring.

I have formatted the USB stick to FAT as suggest in information on Boot Camp.

Also have a copy of Windows 8.1 stored in my Documents folder

Or would it be better to erase all and start again following Boot Camp instructions

Jul 7, 2015 4:38 AM in response to terence114

Kappy is suggesting this on your internal disk. Keep aside the USB disk and use the following steps on your internal disk.

1. Back up OSX using Time Machine - Mac Basics: Time Machine backs up your Mac - Apple Support.

2. Boot into Internet Recovery - OS X: About OS X Recovery - Apple Support.

3. Erase your internal drive and restore from the TM backup in Step 1 - OS X Yosemite: Recover your entire system.

Please be aware that TM does not backup Bootcamp partitions.

Jul 7, 2015 12:33 PM in response to Loner T

Unfortunately with my experience I do not understand how to create these files.

I have purchased the win8.1 CD also another Serif Graphic PP8 programme to run on my A/pro

Would I be able to store all my files on an external HDD that has previously been used to back up Windows programme and files etc.

Alternatively what are my choices available

1/ purchase a new Internal HDD (Expensive)?

Jul 7, 2015 12:54 PM in response to terence114

terence114 wrote:

Unfortunately with my experience I do not understand how to create these files.

You do not need to create these files. They are created by the Windows Installer during the installation process.

Would I be able to store all my files on an external HDD that has previously been used to back up Windows programme and files etc.

You cannot install Windows on an external disk, so the OS must be on the internal disk. An external disk, however can be used to store files and applications, which are unrelated to the OS. This external disk should be formatted as NTFS for try Windows side to be able to read/write such files.

Alternatively what are my choices available

1/ purchase a new Internal HDD (Expensive)?

You can run Mac OSX from an external disk and use the entire internal disk for Windows, if that is an option you want to explore further. A minimal OSX version can run from an external USB flash drive which is about 16GB in size. Please see OS X: Installing OS X on an external volume - Apple Support for this option.

Re: Windows installation via Boot Camp.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.