Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Back up external hard drive to Time Capsule?

Hello,

I currently have my internal hard drives backing up to a Time Capsule. How do I back up my external hard drive to the same Time Capsule?

Thank you

Posted on Jul 6, 2015 12:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 6, 2015 12:30 PM

The external drive must be formatted in Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

Open System Preferences (gear icon on the dock)

Open Time Machine

Click Options

Here, you will see the items that are Excluded from backups. By default, the external drive will appear

Click on the name of the external drive to highlight it

Click the - (minus) button at the bottom of the Excluded list......(to remove it from being excluded from backups)

Time Machine will back up both your Mac and and external drive on the next pass

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 6, 2015 12:30 PM in response to ZHNStudio

The external drive must be formatted in Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

Open System Preferences (gear icon on the dock)

Open Time Machine

Click Options

Here, you will see the items that are Excluded from backups. By default, the external drive will appear

Click on the name of the external drive to highlight it

Click the - (minus) button at the bottom of the Excluded list......(to remove it from being excluded from backups)

Time Machine will back up both your Mac and and external drive on the next pass

Jul 6, 2015 1:58 PM in response to ZHNStudio

(it is plugged into the iMac via usb).

USB hubs cause all kinds of issues. As a test, try plugging the drive directly into your Mac, restart the entire network, and test to see if the USB drive appears in Time Machine Options. If it does, then you know that the firmware of the hub is creating some issues. Try updating the firmware on the hub, if possible. If not possible, there is not much that you can do other than try another hub.

However I do not see a "Sparsebundle" for the external hard drive.

You won't. Let's not get ahead of ourselves here. Once you have the external backing up along with your Mac....then, I'll show you how to see the files in Time Machine.

Back up external hard drive to Time Capsule?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.