Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Best way to save photo libraries for future use?

What is the best way to save photo libraries for future use? Apple keeps making it difficult to use older iphoto libraries with newer iphoto soft wear. I saved my iphoto 6 libraries on disc and iphoto 11 does not want to open them. If I buy a new computer with the latest OS, whatever it might be, I won't be able to open my iphoto 11 library without intermediate steps. In essence, there was never any point in saving photos. It would have been better to print, label, and file in albums as in the old times. But one or more of you reading this might have a bright idea of how to easily keep saved photos compatible with the latest OS. My goal was to digitize and save all old print and 35mm photos, organize in the process, compose movie or slide shows in multiple copies for each child so they dod not need to argue over photo possession when I am dead. Would be pleased to read legitimate ideas.

Posted on Jul 6, 2015 3:31 PM

10 replies

Jul 7, 2015 9:04 AM in response to Yer_Man

Ah, yes, but keeping up to date means either another new computer and loosing features that don't exist with newer OS. For instance, a DVD burner is no longer integral to a MAC and I am wedded to using one. If I upgrade to a new MAC, I'll need to invest in an external burner even to go directly from the new iMovie. I use many photos when making movies. The new iMovie program is too simplistic for me, now, so that means I also get to buy a smarter program for much more money. What I'll get in trade with an upgrade to a new OS is entree to the Cloud which I will never use for several reasons. One certainly is that there does not seem to be an answer to the question, what happens when the Cloud bursts? What I'll also get is greater security, so I am told, and a better Safari, so I am told. Essentially, I and all of us are being forced to upgrade. So why doesn't someone at Apple type out the few simple steps to keeping iPhoto up to date and post that on this website?

Jul 7, 2015 10:14 AM in response to dgbmunger

Ah, yes, but keeping up to date means either another new computer and loosing features that don't exist with newer OS.

No it doesn't. Get an external HD and clone your current boot drive to it. Then use a backup app that does incremental backups and backup only your Pictures folder (and other folders you want to have a current backup of). When the app does incremental backups only the new or modified files are copied. I use Synk Pro but there are others, like Chronosync and Get Backup Pro (all have a free demo mode).

User uploaded file

Jul 7, 2015 10:53 AM in response to dgbmunger

Perhaps you misunderstood:

The problem you had is that you're backup was made with iPhoto 6 and you tried to open it with iPhoto 11. Unfortunately the entire premise and background technology has altered in the 5 years sine you made the back up. Open it in iPhoto 6: no problem. But if you're going to update you app and your OS then you also need to keep your back up updated. If you upgrade the app you need to upgrade the back up. If you change to a new app you have to redo the back up. A back up is not static. The OS and the apps change all the time, and that's not going to stop.

You can update an iPhoto library simply by opening it.

If you migrate to Photos then you can also migrate the iPhoto Library, but you must also migrate the back ups.

Ah, yes, but keeping up to date means either another new computer and loosing features that don't exist with newer OS. For instance, a DVD burner is no longer integral to a MAC and I am wedded to using one.

Well yes and no. Keeping your back up up to date doesn't mean that. But yes, sooner or later that Mac you have will die and it will need to be replaced. You'll be rightly done for if you've not kept your back up up-to-date when that point comes. I've no idea why you are wedded to a dying technology, but there are external burners.

You seem to misunderstand the Cloud too. It's nothing to fear you know, if you don't want to, just don't use it.

So, no you're not being forced to upgrade. But an out-of-date back up is no bak up. The key point is that you need to make sure your back up is fit for purpose - and that means keeping it up-to-date, not only in content but in format.

Jul 7, 2015 1:54 PM in response to Yer_Man

Hello Terence,

I think what has thrown many of us long time MAC users, is that in the olden days, newly introduced OS usually converted after warning you that when they did so, you could no longer open in the old OS. We thought that practice would continue. I understand the Cloud, but have no need to use it, but that brings up another question in my mind about the value of the Cloud as nothing stored will be updated. Yes, I do need a new processor, one that I can lift myself and since I've used a MAC since 1979, I do understand the updating issues. But this time around, I'm really irritated with the new management at Apple for several reasons. In order to upgrade to Yosemite one must have broadband or take your processor to an Apple store. I don't have access to broadband and my MAC PRO is too heavy for me to lift. The reason for my iPhoto question is that I've been trying to figure out the best way to proceed with saving all of my photos and other material on 4 processors before I decide which new MAC I should buy. So far, I've never had a MAC die, but every so many years I do buy a new one.

This was a long way to say thank you for your answers, They are very helpful and do solve my problem. Unfortunately, link to give you credit for solving my problem will not activate because I also gave OLD TOAD credit for doing that. The program needs to be set so that more than one person can receive credit for solving the problem. There is always more than one way to solve a problem.

Jul 7, 2015 2:06 PM in response to dgbmunger

I'm not sure but I think you could take in a flash drive of sufficient size and have the Apple personal create a bootable install on it. It's possible for users to do that so maybe Apple can do it for you if you take in the flash drive. Give your nearest Apple store a call and ask if they could and would.

Also regarding carrying in the Mac Pro: when I had to bring in my iMac for service I asked if there was a back door I could pull up to and have them take it from there. There was none but I was told that they would go with me to my car and carry it in and return it to the car when done. They also remarked that while the iMac was in their hands, literally, Apple would be responsible for any damage if it was dropped or banged up in any way. So that's another think you can ask if they can't do the flash drive thing.

Jul 7, 2015 3:53 PM in response to dgbmunger

I think what has thrown many of us long time MAC users, is that in the olden days, newly introduced OS usually converted after warning you that when they did so, you could no longer open in the old OS.

They still do. And if you copy a library from an optical disk to the HD you will be able to open it and you will get exactly that warning.

but that brings up another question in my mind about the value of the Cloud as nothing stored will be updated.

Actually, no. In fact, it will be constantly updated as the Cloud service develops. But the Cloud isn't a back up. You still need one of those. By the way, one of the best archival methods is to upload your Photos to one of the big sharing services like Flickr - just make sure your nearest and dearest have the passwords.

Jul 8, 2015 7:37 PM in response to Yer_Man

So am I correct in saying that the library must still be in the old OS in order to have the library upgraded by the new OS? In essence then, the way to upgrade any document to a newer OS is to do it while it is still part of the old OS. That makes eminent sense. I must have read that somewhere along the line, but not upgraded often enough in the last few years to remember.

I thought of using a sharing service, but I'd like to be secure in knowing that my descendants 50 and 100 years from now can see and use my photos. The only sure way is in hard copy, and yes, I've got many family photos in good condition that date from before 1900.

Thanks for the good discussion. I appreciate it very much.

Jul 8, 2015 11:14 PM in response to dgbmunger

So am I correct in saying that the library must still be in the old OS in order to have the library upgraded by the new OS?

No. What said what if you try open the Library in the old version of the app and OS it performs as expected. You can't upgrade anything to a new version without trust having the new version...

I thought of using a sharing service, but I'd like to be secure in knowing that my descendants 50 and 100 years from now can see and use my photos. The only sure way is in hard copy, and yes, I've got many family photos in good condition that date from before 1900

Well I'm less sure than you about Hard Copies - paper quality os different now and not everything is a good quality now as it was. The trick, I think, is a mix - yes hard copies, but also digital copies with multiple back ups to different locations.

I read a paper on this once from an archivist in the LOC, and her takes was that you need multiple back ups and yes, you need to update the back ups. Right now, and for the past 30 years we've had the Jpeg as an effective standard. It's serving us well. But who knows what there will be in 50 years, or 100. But *if* a new thing comes along that's significantly better than the Jpeg there will be a transition phase, an opportunity to move Jpegs to the new thing. That will be the point at which you update all those back ups. The thing about online services is that they will probably be at the forefront of that transition...

Best way to save photo libraries for future use?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.