Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pages - how to add new number style in list

How do I go about editing the number style in Pages Bullets & List. In the 'Bullets & Lists' drop down I can pick various styles. My question is, how do I create a new style. In working on legal documents its normal to number paragraphs in a bracket bold number style, e.g. [0001], [0002], [0003], and so on. I've used this in MS Word and would like to move to Pages for working on documents. Any direction here is greatly appreciated.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Jul 6, 2015 12:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 6, 2015 1:16 PM

You cannot alter Pages predefined numbering convention, or coerce brackets into the list style. Probably suggests that Apple Attorneys don't use Pages. 😉

Although Pages v5.5.3 does provide for the ability to automatically detect lists (without bullets & lists enabled) by simply typing a 1, some text, and a return — the OS X 10.10.4 update appears to have disabled this feature even when it is enabled in Pages v5.5.3 preferences. Even if the auto-detect was working, it would become confused by brackets and leading zero padding.

Trying to make this work with two table columns is unacceptable. Recommend a non-Apple word processing solution that will provide for this legal bracket list format.

I recommend you look at Word in Office for Mac 2011. When you choose the number list, there is an ability to create a custom list format using 01, 02, etc. I placed [00nn] in the custom field, where the nn is the 01 number format that Word inserts. The numbers auto-increment in the list. This was actually done in Word 15.11.1 in Office 2016 for Mac Preview on OS X 10.10.4 Yosemite.

User uploaded file

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 6, 2015 1:16 PM in response to David Trahan

You cannot alter Pages predefined numbering convention, or coerce brackets into the list style. Probably suggests that Apple Attorneys don't use Pages. 😉

Although Pages v5.5.3 does provide for the ability to automatically detect lists (without bullets & lists enabled) by simply typing a 1, some text, and a return — the OS X 10.10.4 update appears to have disabled this feature even when it is enabled in Pages v5.5.3 preferences. Even if the auto-detect was working, it would become confused by brackets and leading zero padding.

Trying to make this work with two table columns is unacceptable. Recommend a non-Apple word processing solution that will provide for this legal bracket list format.

I recommend you look at Word in Office for Mac 2011. When you choose the number list, there is an ability to create a custom list format using 01, 02, etc. I placed [00nn] in the custom field, where the nn is the 01 number format that Word inserts. The numbers auto-increment in the list. This was actually done in Word 15.11.1 in Office 2016 for Mac Preview on OS X 10.10.4 Yosemite.

User uploaded file

Pages - how to add new number style in list

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.