Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Any suggestions on how to remove a frozen screw from back of macbook pro. Trying to upgrade RAM and all screws except one came out easily

Trying to remove the back from macbook pro in order to upgrade ram. One screw will not come out. all others came out easily. any suggestions on how to get it out

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2010), Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Jul 6, 2015 1:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 6, 2015 1:45 PM

" any suggestions on how to get it out"

Those screws are very tiny and easily stripped. What usually happens is the screw strips out in a square pyramid hole shape. I usually sacrifice one of my tiny flat bladed screwdrivers. I file it w/ a diamond file or use the grinding tool on my Dremel/like tool to make a new flat blade that will fit inside the pyramid hole and jam against the corners. Then carefully extract it.

I have some tiny diamond dental drills that are very useful in cases like this. I use them to make a tiny slot so a standard slotted jewelers screw driver will fit or to elongate the slot so that the flat blade can grab it.

If that doesn't work it will have to be drilled out but be careful because the threads into the Unibody case are aluminum.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 6, 2015 1:45 PM in response to LLP43

" any suggestions on how to get it out"

Those screws are very tiny and easily stripped. What usually happens is the screw strips out in a square pyramid hole shape. I usually sacrifice one of my tiny flat bladed screwdrivers. I file it w/ a diamond file or use the grinding tool on my Dremel/like tool to make a new flat blade that will fit inside the pyramid hole and jam against the corners. Then carefully extract it.

I have some tiny diamond dental drills that are very useful in cases like this. I use them to make a tiny slot so a standard slotted jewelers screw driver will fit or to elongate the slot so that the flat blade can grab it.

If that doesn't work it will have to be drilled out but be careful because the threads into the Unibody case are aluminum.

Any suggestions on how to remove a frozen screw from back of macbook pro. Trying to upgrade RAM and all screws except one came out easily

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.