Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

upgrading from iphone 4 os6 to iphone6 os8

Finally about to upgrade my iPhone 4(gsm) iOS 6.1.3 to iPhone 6 with current iOS8. I don't really have the space to upgrade the phone to OS 8 and sync before purchasing the new equipment so I'm thinking of just syncing the iPhone 4 as is, and let the new phone upgrade when it syncs with the cloud.

Is that inherently a bad idea? Should I (painstakingly) make more space on the iPhone 4 and upgrade it first?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Posted on Jul 6, 2015 1:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 6, 2015 1:09 PM

An iPhone 4 can only run iOS 7.1.2. Make sure that you backed up your old device to iTunes on your computer, then connect the new iPhone and set it up. You will be asked if you want to restore from the backup made by the iPhone 4, and all data and settings will be transferred. The only thing that you'll have to enter if you did not encrypt the backup, would be the passwords for network connections or mail accounts.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 6, 2015 1:09 PM in response to Mikester01

An iPhone 4 can only run iOS 7.1.2. Make sure that you backed up your old device to iTunes on your computer, then connect the new iPhone and set it up. You will be asked if you want to restore from the backup made by the iPhone 4, and all data and settings will be transferred. The only thing that you'll have to enter if you did not encrypt the backup, would be the passwords for network connections or mail accounts.

upgrading from iphone 4 os6 to iphone6 os8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.