Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Seeking Windows Media Center alternative

With Win 10 eliminating Windows Media Center, I am considering an alternative to replace my impending home media management void. Thought a Mac mini might offer accessories or apps to replace my reliable, but aging ole Win 7 PC and Windows Media Center. Never owned an Apple, except for iPodnanos. Does Mac mini or other Apple product offer the capability to seamlessly integrate a computer, TV tuner, DVR, DVD player, etc., like Windows Media Center?

Posted on Jul 6, 2015 12:49 PM

5 replies

Jul 6, 2015 2:10 PM in response to a brody

Eyetv would enable use of a Mac mini (with USB TV tuner?) to act as a DVR? Mediacentral would offer the rest of Windows Media Center features on a Mac mini? Would both programs work on a Mac mini with one USB or other TV tuner peripheral device? Don't quite understand how an Apple TV would fit in, seamlessly. May have missed it, but does Apple TV allow for recording of over-the-air TV like a DVR on say a Mac mini or would that capability require a program such as Eyetv?

Presently, I have a Win 7 PC with Windows Media Center connected to a Smart TV with an HDMI cable and couldn't be more content. However, Microsoft eliminated Windows Media Center in Windows 10. I'm hoping Apple offers something as good as or better when Windows 7 is no longer supported in 2020 and my ole Win 7 PC effectively becomes obsolete, unless it dies sooner. My ole PC is too old for even a Win 8.1 upgrade. Always heard how Apple offered the best media recording and playback capabilities. Figured Apple would be the way to go when Windows Media Center dies in 2020 (or in 2023 for Win 8.1 users).

Eyetv, Mediacentral with appropriate TV tuner attached to a Mac mini sounds like the way to go, unless something better becomes available by 2020. Am I on the right track, here? TIA.

Seeking Windows Media Center alternative

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.