Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My internet keeps dropping at home. I do not have any options for providers. I have an ATT modem provided by them but many people tell me that I should have a separate router. I have a Time Capsule but there is debate over whether this is a router?

My internet keeps dropping at home. I have a ATT modem provide by them. I am in an area where ATT is the only feasible provider. ATT just brought me a new modem saying this would fix the problem - NO it didn't but I can stream things and my cellular data will pick up the streaming which is just more $ to ATT. I have been told that getting a good router will fix the problem? I have a Time Capsule? Is this a router? Is it sufficient or can someone suggest another fix?

null-OTHER

Posted on Jul 6, 2015 1:02 PM

15 replies

Jul 6, 2015 1:44 PM in response to dcryan3025

The TIme Capsule is a router.. no question of that.

Whether it is a good enough router to fix your problems only trial and error can tell you.

What modem did ATT provide for you?? Make and model please.

And what version TC is it? A1xxx from the base please.

Did you have the TC setup with the previous router?

Have you tried with a computer plugged into the modem directly?? If that drops out then the TC is irrelevant to the problem.

Jul 6, 2015 2:28 PM in response to dcryan3025

ATT likely provided you with a modem/router.....also known as a gateway. They probably did not provide you with a simple modem, no matter what they might call it.

A modem/router or gateway is a device that combines both a modem and a router in one package. If this is what you have....and....you have a Time Capsule.....then you have two routers on your network, and things have become a lot more complicated.

We'll know what you really have there if you can post back with the make and model number of the "modem", in addition to the other info that LaPastenague has requested for good reason.

Jul 7, 2015 12:18 PM in response to dcryan3025

We really do need the model number of the Motorola modem, since a serial number does not tell us what you really have. Motorola makes dozens of modem models, but I can't find a cross reference for their serial numbers that would tell us what model of modem that you have.

For your future posts......we do not need (or want) to receive serial numbers on products....and you really should not post that type of information.

A model number of a product tells us all that we need to know without you having to divulge any personal or specific information.

Jul 7, 2015 12:36 PM in response to LaPastenague

Oops, to answer the rest of your questions. I have had this problem for years. I have had the Time Capsule (and all) hooked up basically the same way for years. When the internet drops my "go to" fix is unplugging the modem, wait for 10-15 seconds and plug it back in and let it boot everything back up and I usually am able to get back on line.

Every so often the unplug/ replug scenario has to be repeated many times and at worst doesn't accomplish getting back on line. Then we call ATT, complain, complain, spend 30, 45, 60 min on the phone, they send out a technician who provides us with a new modem. We have accomplished getting 3 new modems in about 6 years. No one has attempted to hook the computer directly to the modem.

The technician was just out 4-5 weeks ago and we are having the problem worse than ever regardless (it seems) of the new modem. I have heard (?) that they have "oversold" DSL in our area (it is somewhat rural) and I just have to live with it dropping all the time.

Seems to me that they provide us with adequate service and that if we just optimized our hardware we could have consistency getting online. The domino effect of not having consistent internet is that when movies or (?) (I have a teeneage son) are streamed and the internet is dropped the system moves seamlessly to cellular data which is crazy expensive.

I realize that an easy answer to the cell data issue is just not to stream stuff where you don't have a good signal!

It was suggested by a number of people that we should just buy a router? I googled "Best Routers of 2015" and found some Asus and Linkys (sp?) ones for $200. + I don't want to complicate things even further.

Thanks again!

Jul 7, 2015 1:19 PM in response to dcryan3025

This is one strange, oddball product.

It provides DHCP and NAT.....which is what a router does. So, technically you could call the 2210 a router. But...and this is a BIG BUT.....the oddball thing about the Motorola 2210 is that it will only provide one single IP address.....when a normal router provides dozens.

Since the 2210 only provides one IP address, when it is used in its normal, new out of the box condition......it is a product that is designed to work with only one computer.

If you hook up the 2210 to a router.....like the Time Capsule.....which also provides DHCP and NAT services......you will have an issue called Double NAT.....something that you really don't want on a network, since it complicates things....and Double NAT is known to cause several other issues like slow browsing (or no browsing.....loss of Internet).

If you want to use the 2210 with the Time Capsule.......the 2210 needs to be modified to work in what what is known as "Bridge Mode". With the 2210 in Bridge Mode, the Time Capsule can then be setup as the network router and there will be no Double NAT issues that way.

When the 2210 is setup to operate in Bridge Mode, the Time Capsule will need to change the way that it connects to the Internet from a normal DHCP setting to another type of connection called PPPoE. To setup the Time Capsule to provide PPPoE credentials, you will need to know your ATT user name (it might be your email address or account number) and the password that you have been assigned.

Honestly, things would be tons easier if you contacted ATT and asked them to provide you with a modem/router. Then, the Time Capsule can be easily setup in Bridge Mode and all will be well.

Jul 7, 2015 1:37 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Thanks for your help! I'll definately call ATT but if they won't provide us with another type of modem we can buy one and have it here for the technician when they come. I know ATT has another modem that has their name on it (as opposed to Motorola). It is a black vertical box the size of a hard bound book with sort of a plastic foot for standing upright? It's a "ATT 802.11N wireless router"

Is this one better or can you suggest one?

I want to keep my Time Capsule because it provides me back up.

My internet keeps dropping at home. I do not have any options for providers. I have an ATT modem provided by them but many people tell me that I should have a separate router. I have a Time Capsule but there is debate over whether this is a router?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.