Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Not possible to restore Windows from hard drive on iMac Retina

I purchased a 27" iMac Retina 5K with a 1TB SSD and I need to run Windows. I had a 2011 iMac configured and ran Windows 7 for years without any problem. So I created the partition with Boot Camp and had an ISO file that I used to install Windows 7. Done in no time, everything working but no applications installed.

Then I created a mirror image of the C-drive under my old Boot Camp on an external hard drive and wanted to use that to restore the files and applications in Windows on the new iMac.

However, when I want to do that, and Windows restarts, I can't get any further. The window "System Recovery Options" that I have to pass does not show a cursor and the keyboard is also not responsive. Both are USB wired. I have to shut down the iMac by holding the power button

I tried the same sequence on my older iMac and that does show a cursor, and the keyboard is responsive too.

Is there anything I have done wrong?

Posted on Jul 6, 2015 2:20 PM

3 replies

Jul 6, 2015 2:38 PM in response to janoeterm

The drivers for the 2011 iMac are different than the iMac 5k drivers. You will not be able to restore the image to the iMac5K. You have a few options.

1. Use tools like Winclone or CampTune to move Windows from one machine to another. Each of these tools will strip out any hardware-specific elements and allow you to clone the installation. The tools will use a method called SysPrep. You can find more information on the Microsoft site about SysPrep.

2. You can also use Windows Easy Transfer - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/features/windows-easy-trans fer .

3. You can manually boot both installations and copy files, but not hardware drivers, over the network, similar to bullet 2.

4. You can re-install applications on the iMac5K from scratch, if you have the original installation media for these. You will need to address licensing such applications separately.

Jul 6, 2015 2:51 PM in response to Loner T

Thank you for your quick answer, even though I don't like it much! I checked Easy Transfer, but that talks only about settings and files, but not applications (QuickBooks, Photoshop, etc.) Will these also be transferred? I have some applications for which I don't have an installation CD any more, but that I still used on the older iMac and would like to continue to use.

Not possible to restore Windows from hard drive on iMac Retina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.