Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

All playlists and most music missing after iTunes update!

I clicked on prompt to update iTunes, and most of my music is now gone, as well as all playlists. Please help!

iOS 8.1

Posted on Jul 6, 2015 4:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 6, 2015 5:19 PM

See Empty/corrupt iTunes library after upgrade/crash.

tt2

3 replies

Jul 6, 2015 6:17 PM in response to turingtest2

I updated iTunes on July 5 2015 and realized today that all my playlists were gone. Also, my song ratings were gone. Unlike some of the other posters, my music was still in iTunes. I've spent at least 1000 hours rating songs and creating playlists, so naturally I was very upset. I will never update iTunes again until at least 6 months have past and I've read the community posts. I have software to backup all my data files, but in the future I will make a copy of the .itl file before I update iTunes.

Anyway, turingtest2's suggestion to identify a previous .itl file worked.

I used Windows Explorer to identify a previous version of the itl file that was prior to updating iTunes on my PC.

I closed the iTunes application on my PC (windows 7)

I renamed iTunes Library.itl to iTunes Library July5.itl

I renamed Temp File.tmp to iTunes Library.itl (this was the file that seemed to be the best candidate)

When I restarted iTunes, my ratings and playlists were back! I'm a happy camper.

THANK YOU turingtest2

Jamie-NYC

All playlists and most music missing after iTunes update!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.