Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does reinstalling an OS delete files resident on the HD?

Apple Power G4 867 (Quicksilver) tower has blinking folder at start-up. Booting up with Cmd R (Recovery) or zapping the PRAM (Cmd/Option/P/R), unsuccessful. I do have a COPY of the Tiger OS software that was installed years ago (did not come with original discs). Tried booting-up from Disk 1 (hoping it would launch Disk Utility, but it did not). But it will get me to the Install OS screen (choose language and beyond). If I reinstall the OS, will it delete any files that are still on the HD from before it quit working? Thanks!

Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jul 6, 2015 4:48 PM

3 replies

Jul 6, 2015 6:41 PM in response to drsyn1967

"Try Disk Utility

1. Insert the Mac OS X Install disc, then restart the computer while holding the C key.

2. When your computer finishes starting up from the disc, choose Disk Utility from the Installer menu at top of the screen. (In Mac OS X 10.4 or later, you must select your language first.)

*Important: Do not click Continue in the first screen of the Installer. If you do, you must restart from the disc again to access Disk Utility.*

3. Click the First Aid tab.

4. Select your Mac OS X volume.

5. Click Repair Disk, (not Repair Permissions). Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk."

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106214

Then try a Safe Boot, (holding Shift key down at bootup), run Disk Utility in Applications>Utilities, then highlight your drive, click on Repair Permissions, reboot when it completes.

(Safe boot may stay on the gray radian for a long time, let it go, it's trying to repair the Hard Drive & clear caches.)

If perchance you can't find your install Disc, at least try it from the Safe Boot part onward.

Jul 6, 2015 7:48 PM in response to Niel

Thanks, Niel. Things get worse... When booting up from Disk 1 of the OS (Tiger) disk copy, I did proceed past the Languages selection to the screen where I pick a location to install the software. There is no icon showing for the HD. Additionally, (for better or worse), I have run TechTool Pro 6's suite of Tests and all pass except Volume Structures (namely, a validation error is encountered on the Extended Attributes File). For a novice such as I, this sounds awful. I do have an excellent Mac service company that I have used, but really was hoping for a successful self-medication on this one. (Note - this computer quit working a few years ago and I think I went thru this before but didn't inquire here for help). I'm just hoping to resurrect old files that i can live without (but do not want to).

Does reinstalling an OS delete files resident on the HD?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.