Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to set up a password protected guest network on airport time machine?

WWhat are the steps to setting up a password protected guest network on an Airport Time Machine?

iPad Air, iOS 8.1.1

Posted on Jul 6, 2015 4:27 PM

3 replies

Jul 6, 2015 5:16 PM in response to Richb007

The first requirement would be to check and make sure that you have the correct type of modem that will allow the Guest Network feature to operate correctly.

You will need to have a simple modem.....something like this, for example:

User uploaded file

A modem/router......also called a gateway, a type of product often furnished by Internet Service Providers to their customers.......is not what you want. This type of device will look something like this, for example:

User uploaded file

If you are not sure what type of modem that you might have, please post back with the make and model number of the device that you call your "modem".

Jul 6, 2015 6:27 PM in response to Bob Timmons

I have a modem/router (second picture). The Time Capsule is connected to one of the Ethernet ports on the router. This is working as when I go into settings on my Mac or one of my other devices, I see both the wi-fi that my ISP provides, as well as the wi-fi that I have set up on the Airport Time Capsule. What I want to do is described in the section "with Airport Time Capsule, you can:" under the 3rd dot which is at the top of page 9 of the manual, create a guest network .....

I believe the Time Capsule should be able to handle 2 networks, I may be wrong.

Jul 6, 2015 8:37 PM in response to Richb007

We can tell you how to try to set up a Guest Network.....but unfortunately, you have the wrong type of "modem", and Apple doesn't tell you about things like this, so I doubt that it will work.

On your Mac......

Open Finder > Applications > Utilities > AirPort Utility

Click on the picture of the Time Capsule

Click Edit in the smaller window that appears

Click the Network tab at the top of the window

Check the setting for Router Mode......It should be "Off (Bridge Mode)" because you already have another router on the network

Is that what you see?

If yes, that is the correct setting for the Time Capsule to work with your modem/router, but that is not the correct setting to allow the Guest Network feature to work correctly.

If you try to go ahead and set up the Guest Network, devices may or may not even be able to connect to the network. But, even if they do connect to the network, they will not be able to get an Internet connection.

How to set up a password protected guest network on airport time machine?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.