Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Kernel Securit Check Failure with External Drive

Hi. I run Windows 8.1 via Bootcamp on my Mac Pro (late 2013). The actual Bootcamp partition is located on my internal SSD. Up until recently it worked fine, but today it will not boot (goes straight to BSOD) if I have my external drive (a 4TB LaCie) plugged in (via thunderbolt). If I unplug the drive it boots fine, but then I obviously cannot access the drive, which is where I store most of my large games. I found another thread where a user appeared to have this same problem, but he offered no solution other than running windows with the external drive unplugged. Another user seemed to think this may be a problem with Norton security software, but I don't have that installed as far as I know. Please help!

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4), Windows 8.1 on Bootcamp

Posted on Jul 6, 2015 4:07 PM

19 replies

Jul 6, 2015 10:49 PM in response to Loner T

Hi and thanks for you quick responses. Unfortunately the LaCie only supports TB, and I have tried both ports on it and all 6 on the MP. It is currently the only TB device I'm using, and works fine when I boot to OSX. It appears to be working when I boot to windows, as it doesn't spin up unless it is connected to a computer (it spins up when windows tries to boot). I did get a windows recovery screen after trying to boot several times. It was unable to restore to a previous image using the automated tool, and none of the available boot options that I tried achieved a successful boot with the LaCie plugged in. It seems the only viable option from that screen would be to reset windows completely, but I'd like to avoid that if I can.

Jul 7, 2015 2:43 PM in response to Loner T

Oddly if I plug in the drive after windows is booted fully the drive spins up, but nothing happens on windows. I remembered that I had set a partition on the drive to not automount with the fstab on the Mac side. I tried removing that setting to no avail. Does windows have a similar construct that could be causing issues?

Re Updates: There have been none that I'm aware of. Is there anyway to check?

Also, I checked Device Manager and Disk Management, and the drive doesn't show up in either location.

Jul 8, 2015 1:55 PM in response to Loner T

/dev/disk0

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER

0: GUID_partition_scheme *251.0 GB disk0

1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1

2: Apple_HFS Mac 20.0 GB disk0s2

3: Microsoft Basic Data BOOTCAMP 225.8 GB disk0s3

/dev/disk1

0: GUID_partition_scheme *2.0 TB disk1

1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk1s1

2: Apple_HFS Crumpled Paper 1.5 TB disk1s2

3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 650.0 MB disk1s3

4: Apple_HFS Storage 280.0 GB disk1s4

5: Microsoft Basic Data GAMES 200.0 GB disk1s5

/dev/disk2

0: GUID_partition_scheme *2.0 TB disk2

1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk2s1

2: Apple_HFS Tardis 2.0 TB disk2s2

3: Apple_HFS Install OS X Yosemite 15.9 GB disk2s3

To explain: disk0 is my internal SSD, where Bootcamp lives, along with a small storage partition I use on the mac side (called 'Mac')

disk1 is the first of two disks in my LaCie. 'Crumpled Paper' is my boot drive for mac, 'GAMES' is where I store my windows games.

disk2 houses my backups (its also in the LaCie).

Only the SSD shows up on the windows side at all. I can see both partitions of the SSD on the windows side.

Jul 9, 2015 11:59 AM in response to Loner T

2big Thunderbolt 4TB

Here it is on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00AXUB9CA/ref=ya_aw_ohs_i_title#immersive-view_1 436466984941

Worth noting: They do have instructions somewhere on their website for installing a specific driver to allow it to work with windows. I never did this because it always worked fine. Since the drive doesn't show up in device manager now, I can't install it (as per the instructions). Don't think this would be the issue because the drive worked fine before, and also the intructions seem focused on making the drive usable after windows recognizes it, which isn't the problem here. Still thought it might be worth mentioning.

Kernel Securit Check Failure with External Drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.