Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Garageband Noise Gate won't click

Garageband 10.1.0

CONTEXT

I'm recording vocal audio using condenser mic. I've found the noise gate option, activated the audio units in the preferences, added a auhipass filter just to ensure it was available, but noise gate will not click.

QUESTION

How do I activate the noise gate?

What parameters must be in place for the noise gate to be available?

GarageBand 10, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jul 6, 2015 4:15 PM

6 replies

Jul 8, 2015 2:48 PM in response to naridox

Howdy naridox,

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities.

From your post I understand that you're trying to enable the noise gate option in GarageBand. Make sure you're following these directions:

To reduce noise in a silent passage:

1. Select the desired track.
  2. Click the headphone icon to solo the track.
  3. Open the Track Info window.
  4. Expand the window so you can see "details".
  5. Click the Gate checkbox.
  6. Start playing the song.
  7. Adjust the Gate slider so that noise disappears from silent passages but the instrument still plays normally elsewhere.

Preventing noise from effects in GarageBand - Apple Support

Take care.

Jul 17, 2015 4:59 PM in response to naridox

The two Noise Gate controls in the Smart Controls Inspector (On/Off and Threshold slider) are linked to the Noise Gate Plugin. If you don't have the Noise Gate Pluin loaded, then they are grayed out.

Click on a Plugin Slot and select it from the Plugin Menu (inside the Dynamics Folder). Once the Plugin is loaded, the two controls will light up.

When you click on the blue Plugin button, it opens the Plugin Window. Now you can see the effect of the two controls.

User uploaded file

Hope that helps

Edgar Rothermich - LogicProGEM.com

(Author of the "Graphically Enhanced Manuals")

http://DingDingMusic.com/Manuals/

'I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link.'

Garageband Noise Gate won't click

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.