Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto "loses" the imported files.

Since Photos does not have the same functionality as iPhoto (batch changes for naming, viewing of file names under the photo) I've stuck with the iPhoto application. (After "migrating" my iPhoto library to Photos.)

My editing is done in Lightroom, and then exported to the desktop. Now, however, when I import anything to my iPhoto library from the desktop, I need to leave the folder on the desktop, otherwise, when I go to the album/event and select a photo, I get a message saying "ALERT The file xyz.jpg” could not be opened, because the original item cannot be found."

This has only happened since Photos has been added.

As I don't want to have to leave all of these files on the desktop, is there something that I can do to prevent iPhoto from losing the import?

iMac 24" mid-2007 aluminum model, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Jul 6, 2015 5:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 7, 2015 12:53 AM

I have no idea why, if you're using Lightroom, you even use iPhoto (or Photos.) That's like drafting your novel in Word and then copying and pasting it to TextEdit. Lightroom does the same job as the other two apps - photo management and non destructive processing - but with professional grade tools. Frankly, you're workflow does not make sense.

As for the specific issue: iPhoto Menu -> Preferences -> Advanced

Top of the pane: Importing: make sure the box at 'Copy Items to the iPhoto Library' is checked.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 7, 2015 12:53 AM in response to Maginnis1951

I have no idea why, if you're using Lightroom, you even use iPhoto (or Photos.) That's like drafting your novel in Word and then copying and pasting it to TextEdit. Lightroom does the same job as the other two apps - photo management and non destructive processing - but with professional grade tools. Frankly, you're workflow does not make sense.

As for the specific issue: iPhoto Menu -> Preferences -> Advanced

Top of the pane: Importing: make sure the box at 'Copy Items to the iPhoto Library' is checked.

Jul 7, 2015 11:51 AM in response to Maginnis1951

Since Photos does not have the same functionality as iPhoto (batch changes for naming, viewing of file names under the photo)

There are workaround for those two issues. First select Titles to be displayed via the View ➙ Metadata menu option:User uploaded file

Next, use one of the Applescripts offered in the Photos for Mac User Tips to add the file name to the titles field or rename the title to whatever you want in a number of formats.

Also keep telling Apple what missing features you'd like restored or new features added in Photos via Apple-Photos Feedback.

The feedback is working as can be seen from the following paragraph in this Apple webpage: Apple OS X El Capitan.

Photos has been fine-tuned to make it even easier to manage your library. Now you can add a location to a single image or to an entire Moment. Naming your favorite people in Faces is faster with a streamlined workflow. You can also sort your albums — and the contents inside them — by date, title, and more.

User uploaded file

Jul 8, 2015 6:26 AM in response to Yer_Man

As to the specific problem, thanks for your help. That worked. Regarding your criticism of my "workflow":

- I keep my RAW files on a separate hard drive, and, my wife is not familiar with Lightroom

- I have 2 years worth of RAW files on the external hard driver, versus 15+ years of photo memories in iPhoto

- it's much easier for my wife and I to browse the collection in iPhoto, which includes photos of family and friends that have passed away

Jul 8, 2015 12:50 PM in response to Maginnis1951

get a message saying "ALERT The file xyz.jpg” could not be opened, because the original item cannot be found."

Terence addressed this issue with his response about Photos Advanced preference pane and copying photos into the library during import (i.e. a managed library).

User uploaded file

If that box is unchecked and you move those folders from the Desktop to another volume and/or delete them from the Desktop after importing you will get that message. Move the folder w/files to another location on the same volume will not break the link.

iPhoto "loses" the imported files.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.