Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes freezes and must be force quit when streaming audio

I have had this problem for over two years.

There is another discussion that was opened in Oct 2013 that reports the same symptoms but for which there is no hint at the problem.

I stream WCPT and KTNF daily.

If my internet service is temporarily interrupted iTunes fails to reconnect to the stream.

I am now running iTunes 12.2 on OS X 10.10.4 on a 2009 mini-mac.

I have had the problem on my MacBook Pro (2011) running 10.10.3

I have not yet encountered it on my MacBook Pro (2015) running 10.10.4

I have seen the problem in older iTunes going back to at least 11.x and perhaps older.

I access the mini-mac through screen sharing.

The mini-mac has several backup disks on it and is a destination disk for CrashPlan. It also backup to CrashPlan Central.

I have never had problems with CrashPlan, but I mention it just in case.

The only application running on the mini-mac is iTunes 12.2.

The cable modem reboots (Time Warner Cable, what do you expect?)

When the modem re-establishes the internet, iTunes fails to reconnect to the stream (after waiting as long as 5 minutes after the internet is reestablished).

iTunes is "on top" so I can view the drop-down menus.

I opened "Force Quit" from the apple menu, it works.

The "Force Quit" window does not indicate that iTunes is not responding even after waiting for at least 60 seconds.

The Play/Pause button indicates that the stream should be playing.

At this point almost any action will cause iTunes to freeze, but for this test, I clicked on the Play/Pause Button. No other action was taken.

Nothing happened.

After 30 to 60 seconds, the Force Quit window shows that iTunes is "not responding".

I have "Force Quit" iTunes and forwarded the results to Apple at least 10 times over the last two years. perhaps more.

Mac mini, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), core 2 Duo

Posted on Jul 6, 2015 6:25 PM

1 reply

Jul 7, 2015 6:45 PM in response to John Zwiebel

This happened again.

This time I tried selecting several of the menus. They all worked.

In fact I could do anything I wanted, including connecting to the iTunes store as long as I did not click on the play/pause button.

30 seconds after clicking play/pause, the Force Quit window reported "not responding".

I waited for another 10 minutes just in case iTunes was doing something amazingly complicated. It never recovered and I had to Force Quit.

iTunes freezes and must be force quit when streaming audio

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.