Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cellular phone calls will not work between iPhone and Mac

On my MacBook Pro I cannot get the cellular calls from my iPhone 5c to work. It has worked in the past but now the check box won't even show on FaceTime preferences. Nor will it show on the settings on my phone. It has worked in the past just fine but now it's like the option isn't even available.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10.4), iPhone 5C iOS 8.4

Posted on Jul 6, 2015 8:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 7, 2015 1:14 PM

Cellular calling doesn't yet work reliably. Any improvement may only be temporary.

Make sure you've followed the instructions in this support article. Note that both iCloud and FaceTime on the Mac must be signed in to the same Apple ID; those are two separate steps. Also note that the Mac and the phone must be connected to the same Wi-Fi network. Ethernet won't work. Trying to pair the phone to the Mac as a Bluetooth device won't work either.

No Continuity feature will work if either of the devices is connected to a VPN.

If cellular calling still doesn't work, sign out of FaceTime and sign back in. You may have to do the same on the phone. The email address that you use as your Apple ID must be able to receive FaceTime calls.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 7, 2015 1:14 PM in response to pieman914

Cellular calling doesn't yet work reliably. Any improvement may only be temporary.

Make sure you've followed the instructions in this support article. Note that both iCloud and FaceTime on the Mac must be signed in to the same Apple ID; those are two separate steps. Also note that the Mac and the phone must be connected to the same Wi-Fi network. Ethernet won't work. Trying to pair the phone to the Mac as a Bluetooth device won't work either.

No Continuity feature will work if either of the devices is connected to a VPN.

If cellular calling still doesn't work, sign out of FaceTime and sign back in. You may have to do the same on the phone. The email address that you use as your Apple ID must be able to receive FaceTime calls.

Cellular phone calls will not work between iPhone and Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.