Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Extreme 5th Generation behaving weirdly

Something is definitely not right with my Airport Extreme 5th generation (bought late 2011). It was working fine for the last 3 and a half years and since the last month, it disconnects and reconnects the internet connection every 10 seconds. Sometimes the internet connection works fine for 30 minutes and then it is gone. I did have an issue with Double NAT which I did resolve and only allowed my ADSL router to provide IP addresses via DHCP and solved it. But the Double NAT was always there and Internet worked fine with it for a good over 3 years. Nothing has changed, location, provider nothing. Airport is connected to the ADSL router with a brand new CAT5 cable. In the airport utility, the base station is blurred, not sure why. Is it time to change the base station? I do not think so, but I am struggling.

Your time is highly appreciated.

AirPort Extreme 802.11n (5th Gen)

Posted on Jul 6, 2015 6:41 PM

9 replies

Jul 6, 2015 7:02 PM in response to 38153pa

If you have not already done so, try connecting your computer directly to the ADSL modem/router and watch that connection for a day or two to see if the disconnects continue.

If they do, then you very likely have an issue in the DSL wiring from the outside of your house to the modem/router, or an issue with the modem/router itself. It's painful to call the ISP and go through things with them, but it will need to be done. Even though they will initially say "everything looks good", you have some ammunition to work with at this point.

If the connection stays solid during your "test" with the computer connected directly to the modem/router, then it is time to start troubleshooting the AirPort Extreme. Post back at that time.

Jul 6, 2015 7:19 PM in response to 38153pa

Thanks for the additional information.

The average useful life of an AirPort router is about 5 years, so it is a bit early to suspect that the router is starting to head downhill, but that is always a possibility. Averages are averages. I've had AirPorts that lasted 2 years, while others are more than 8 and still going strong.

If you have not already done so, try resetting the AirPort back to factory default settings and then set it up again to see how it behaves.

If you still have issues, as a last resort, you might want to try a new outboard power supply. Heads, you spend $20 and the AirPort lives another few years. Tails, you lose $20.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ORIGINAL-OEM-APPLE-AIRPORT-EXTREME-BASE-STATION-POWER-SU PPLY-AC-ADAPTER-A1202-/370810566512

Jul 6, 2015 7:29 PM in response to 38153pa

You say that your laptop is connected on WiFi, but AirPort Utility is looking for an Ethernet connection. It can't do both at the same time. Try switch to WiFi. If no luck....

Power off the entire network....all devices....in any order that you want

Wait a minute

Start the modem/router and let it run a full minute

Start the AirPort and let it run a minute

Keep starting devices one at a time about a minute apart until everything is back up

Check the network

If no luck.....try a factory default reset on the AirPort Exreme

If still no luck, as a last resort try a new power supply. 50/50 chance that this will help, but no way to know until you try.

Airport Extreme 5th Generation behaving weirdly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.